Providence

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Providence

Providence is a LARP game using Trent Yacuk's Kingdom Come system. It is a game of Fallen Angels and their struggle to survive against the forces of Heaven and Hell and some things in between.

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 163 on Fri 24 Sep 2021 - 11:21

Gallery

Zeal and Devotion, Devotion and Zeal Empty

Blog Posts

Latest topics

» Shutting down the Forums
Zeal and Devotion, Devotion and Zeal EmptyTue 3 Aug 2010 - 11:47 by cenobyte

» Magic Creation-Zeal Table
Zeal and Devotion, Devotion and Zeal EmptyTue 3 Aug 2010 - 11:28 by cenobyte

» Houses of the Blooded in Regina, August 28th
Zeal and Devotion, Devotion and Zeal EmptyWed 14 Jul 2010 - 15:02 by Bal

» The Sentinel's journal
Zeal and Devotion, Devotion and Zeal EmptyThu 8 Jul 2010 - 20:13 by Dorian Mason

» Character backgrounds
Zeal and Devotion, Devotion and Zeal EmptyTue 6 Jul 2010 - 12:19 by Corral

» The dreams of Edward
Zeal and Devotion, Devotion and Zeal EmptySun 4 Jul 2010 - 0:32 by Edward

» Some of Eliel's secrets
Zeal and Devotion, Devotion and Zeal EmptySat 3 Jul 2010 - 17:35 by Corral

» Question/June Game
Zeal and Devotion, Devotion and Zeal EmptyThu 1 Jul 2010 - 22:51 by cenobyte

» "Map" of the Fallen
Zeal and Devotion, Devotion and Zeal EmptyThu 1 Jul 2010 - 14:17 by Molior

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 3440 messages in 394 subjects

We have 47 registered users

The newest registered user is Cyurus

4 posters

Zeal and Devotion, Devotion and Zeal

cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Number of posts : 860
    Location : She is overfond of books, and it hath addled her brain.
    Registration date : 2008-06-24

Zeal and Devotion, Devotion and Zeal Empty Zeal and Devotion, Devotion and Zeal

Post by cenobyte Wed 4 Mar 2009 - 16:01

This is a Providence house rule: You may spend Zeal to create Affections, including Domus, Chosen Weapons, and people, rather than spending Devotion to do so.

This requires that you permanently spend Zeal, either to give your Chosen Weapons extra OMs or DMs; to create a Domus; or to create a person-Affection. You must also have sufficient levels in Hallow, of course, to support your Affections (check the Hallow Technique write-up for Affection maximums).

You can also spend Zeal, rather than Devotion, to get an Inspiration to your Prowess for a challenge. Remember, this is a *permanent* expenditure and it doesn't 'come back'.

This was a functional application of Zeal previously, and it's one that I like. It will not appear in the final book, but I've spoken to Trent about using it as a house rule.
    Eliel
    Eliel

Number of posts : 198
    Registration date : 2009-01-16

Zeal and Devotion, Devotion and Zeal Empty Re: Zeal and Devotion, Devotion and Zeal

Post by Eliel Wed 4 Mar 2009 - 16:27

To clarify, in our game it will run as it is written in the books we bought? However the final books will be different?
    Friedrich
    Friedrich
    Retired

Number of posts : 127
    Registration date : 2009-10-25

Zeal and Devotion, Devotion and Zeal Empty Re: Zeal and Devotion, Devotion and Zeal

Post by Friedrich Wed 4 Nov 2009 - 22:26

Wow, how did I miss this thread until today?

Jill, to my way of reading, your first and second paragraphs contradict one another. The first paragraph says that you "may spend zeal... rather than spending devotion". Yet the second paragraph says "This requires that you permanently spend Zeal". Were you trying to say, "If you choose to spend Zeal instead of Devotion then the Zeal expenditure is permanent"?

If I ignore the second paragraph and concentrate on the first and third then it reads that you are adding uses for Zeal without taking away uses of Devotion.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Thu 5 Nov 2009 - 0:32

I totally don't even remember making this post, but I suspect (knowing myself, as I often do) I was trying to say: if you have Zeal left over at character creation which you don't know what to do with, you may create a Permanent Affection by spending Zeal.

I *think* what I was getting at was that if you have no Devotion, you can spend Zeal instead. I think. Let me cogitate further and try to remember what prompted this post.

And yes, that is what I was trying to say.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Thu 5 Nov 2009 - 17:49

Okay. I went back over my notes (yes, I do keep notes on occasion).

In the final book, there will not be an option to spend a point of Zeal (the expenditure being permanent) to create Affections. It will be that to create an Affection, you must spend Devotion, and to *invest* in an Affection, you must spend Zeal. I was clarifying that in Providence, I will still allow the permanent expenditure of Zeal to be used in lieu of using a point of Devotion to create Affections.
    Eliel
    Eliel

Number of posts : 198
    Registration date : 2009-01-16

Post by Eliel Thu 5 Nov 2009 - 19:37

So if I understand it correctly the Avarice Pre-eminence only works on affections that have not had zeal spent into them. If affections can't be created without devotion spent on them, what does this pre-eminence actually do?
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Thu 5 Nov 2009 - 21:40

Are you asking me whether the Avarice Preeminence will work on affections whether they've been created using Zeal or Devotion?

If you have used Zeal in place of Devotion to *create* an Affection, the Avarice Preeminence will function as normal. In the final edition of the book, the Avarice Preeminence will function as normal. I believe the *spirit* of the Preeminence is to say that you cannot use it to affect Affections which have had Zeal applied to strengthen them. (So, you could not use it on a 1 - 3 point Domus, a strengthened Chosen Weapon, or a human Affection imbued with Zeal.)

Yes?
    Molior
    Molior

Number of posts : 124
    Registration date : 2008-06-26

Post by Molior Thu 5 Nov 2009 - 22:24

I have a completely different question, Jill.

If I want to make a Thug my Affection, since in Real Game Life that represents 3 people, does that take 3 of my total (Devotion * Hallow)?
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Thu 5 Nov 2009 - 22:30

1) I'm assuming you mean make a Permanent Thug an Affection?
    2) Yes, I'd say so. That's why the resource is "Thugs" and not "Thug"?
    Molior
    Molior

Number of posts : 124
    Registration date : 2008-06-26

Post by Molior Thu 5 Nov 2009 - 22:52

1. Yes.
    2. Ok.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024 - 6:43