Providence

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Providence

Providence is a LARP game using Trent Yacuk's Kingdom Come system. It is a game of Fallen Angels and their struggle to survive against the forces of Heaven and Hell and some things in between.

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 163 on Fri 24 Sep 2021 - 11:21

Gallery

Healing Trauma - Page 2 Empty

Blog Posts

Latest topics

» Shutting down the Forums
Healing Trauma - Page 2 EmptyTue 3 Aug 2010 - 11:47 by cenobyte

» Magic Creation-Zeal Table
Healing Trauma - Page 2 EmptyTue 3 Aug 2010 - 11:28 by cenobyte

» Houses of the Blooded in Regina, August 28th
Healing Trauma - Page 2 EmptyWed 14 Jul 2010 - 15:02 by Bal

» The Sentinel's journal
Healing Trauma - Page 2 EmptyThu 8 Jul 2010 - 20:13 by Dorian Mason

» Character backgrounds
Healing Trauma - Page 2 EmptyTue 6 Jul 2010 - 12:19 by Corral

» The dreams of Edward
Healing Trauma - Page 2 EmptySun 4 Jul 2010 - 0:32 by Edward

» Some of Eliel's secrets
Healing Trauma - Page 2 EmptySat 3 Jul 2010 - 17:35 by Corral

» Question/June Game
Healing Trauma - Page 2 EmptyThu 1 Jul 2010 - 22:51 by cenobyte

» "Map" of the Fallen
Healing Trauma - Page 2 EmptyThu 1 Jul 2010 - 14:17 by Molior

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 3440 messages in 394 subjects

We have 47 registered users

The newest registered user is Cyurus

+3
Rada
Molior
cenobyte
7 posters

Healing Trauma

cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Number of posts : 860
    Location : She is overfond of books, and it hath addled her brain.
    Registration date : 2008-06-24

Healing Trauma - Page 2 Empty Re: Healing Trauma

Post by cenobyte Mon 1 Dec 2008 - 22:30

First, you never have to make "No Roll". You can attempt to heal your Trauma even if your Rehabilitation action did not achieve any Difficulty levels. It's just going to be realy, really hard.

Malicia wrote: If you achieve, say, 8 Marks the very first month. Do you get to roll the Difficult, Medium, *and* Low difficulty tests? Because if not, you have less chance of succeeding than if you had accumulated those 8 Marks over time. You might as well not ever spend max effort healing... do other things, instead.

No. You make one Trauma test at Low (2) Difficulty if you achieve 8 Marks the very first month. If you fail that Trauma Test, you can then take another Rehabilitation action to try to achieve an Epic (15) success, or you can take an Upkeep action to keep those 8 Marks for doing your Trauma Test in a subsequent month.
    Corral
    Corral

Number of posts : 359
    Registration date : 2008-06-25

Post by Corral Mon 1 Dec 2008 - 22:34

Oh, I guess that makes sense.

Cool.
    Keth
    Keth
    Retired

Number of posts : 207
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by Keth Tue 2 Dec 2008 - 0:07

Malicia wrote:If you achieve, say, 8 Marks the very first month. Do you get to roll the Difficult, Medium, *and* Low difficulty tests? Because if not, you have less chance of succeeding than if you had accumulated those 8 Marks over time. You might as well not ever spend max effort healing... do other things, instead.

Do other things like... push people into walls? loose control? or hide in a corner? Ill stick with getting rid of trauma asap instead of whittling it down slowly in hopes to save total work done Razz Enough of us are messed up as it is Wink But thats just me, and i like stacked odds and single minded devotion to a goal.

The trade off comes with that allthough you can do other usefull things instead of potentially wasting effort (If i recll i rolled a 6 when i finally got it down to a low difficulty) and play the odds and get the same result. You might not, and overall the healing process will be refelcted and be slower, so you may get other stuff done. But your more vulnerable and not thinking clearly for a much longer period of time.

Thats how it works in my mind. If it caused any confusion (which it may because i tend to ramble..)just completely ignore what i just said and stick with what jill said, she is right.
    Corral
    Corral

Post by Corral Sun 28 Dec 2008 - 8:55

cenobyte wrote:
    Malicia wrote: If you achieve, say, 8 Marks the very first month. Do you get to roll the Difficult, Medium, *and* Low difficulty tests? Because if not, you have less chance of succeeding than if you had accumulated those 8 Marks over time. You might as well not ever spend max effort healing... do other things, instead.

No. You make one Trauma test at Low (2) Difficulty if you achieve 8 Marks the very first month.

... So, why did I get to roll twice this month?

Also, if a person attempting to heal Mortal Trauma (for which there is no automatic win at 15 Marks) reaches 15 Marks - or perhaps the question applies as soon as 8 - do they get to start rolling every month (regardless of whether they've reached a new difficulty level, as you told me at the game is necessary for a roll) or is that their last chance? ie, is there a point at which you cannot possibly heal that trauma because you've failed all the rolls you get to make?

(Marks after 8 are useless for Mortal trauma, aren't they?)

Last edited by Malicia on Sun 28 Dec 2008 - 8:58; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removing the irrelevant part of the quote)
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Sun 28 Dec 2008 - 11:53

Reactive Soul and Reactive Mind are used to heal Trauma.

Either a) because I forgot; or b) because I was being super nice and wanted you to have two chances to heal your trauma. Take your pick.

As to your second question, I've no idea. However, for Surface and Severe Wounds, when you reach Epic Success, you automatically heal the wound. For Mortal Wounds, Epic success gives you a Low (2) Difficulty to heal the wound. I suspect you can probably make a Healing Test every month once you've reached Epic Success to heal a Mortal Trauma.

Oh, and there is a rule that you cannot attempt to heal your own Mortal Trauma; the only downtime action you can take if you have Mortal Trauma is an Aid action. Which makes sense.

When you have Mortal Trauma, you should not be able to do anything, really, on your own.
    Corral
    Corral

Post by Corral Mon 29 Dec 2008 - 0:43

... Oh?
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Mon 29 Dec 2008 - 1:37

Yes.

I'm assuming that "Oh?" is in reference to the "you cannot take a Rehabilitation Action on your own" statement.

See, Trauma is a terrible, terrible thing that everyone should probably be doing their very best to heal as soon as they get it. Well. Everyone but maybe one or two of you. <grin>
    Keth
    Keth
    Retired

Post by Keth Mon 29 Dec 2008 - 1:41

cenobyte wrote:See, Trauma is a terrible, terrible thing that everyone should probably be doing their very best to heal as soon as they get it. Well. Everyone but maybe one or two of you.

Hmm i seem to recall someone mentioning that trauma wasnt a bad thing at one point and that trauma is actually encouraged (or something to the effect thereof...) etc. Razz

I agree with the new assessment of trauma much more.
    Gabe
    Gabe
    Retired

Number of posts : 111
    Registration date : 2008-07-27

Post by Gabe Mon 29 Dec 2008 - 3:22

Normal trauma *isn't* a bad thing. *MORTAL TRAUMA* is a bad thing. *SETBACK TRAUMA* is even worse. It's just a matter of keeping your trauma under control so it doesn't get that far.

Remember, there are ways to avoid taking trauma as well as supernatural ways to accelerate it's healing.
    Corral
    Corral

Post by Corral Mon 29 Dec 2008 - 9:55

But can't only people with certain professions or techniques undertake the rehabilitation action?

(I *know* that trauma is bad and you're not supposed to get this far. But I sometimes do stupid things because it's in character).
    Rebecca O'Malley
    Rebecca O'Malley
    Retired

Number of posts : 86

Post by Rebecca O'Malley Mon 29 Dec 2008 - 10:05

Oh pfft. Trauma isn't so bad. Setbacks aren't bad either.

Only the weak get *mortal* trauma. Smile
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Mon 29 Dec 2008 - 11:59

But can't only people with certain professions or techniques undertake the rehabilitation action?

Nope. Anybody can attempt to be a "Therapist". Anybody can take a Rehabilitation action on your behalf. But you won't get any Inspirations from their help (you might get Marks if their action is successful) for your healing test.

"Therapist" and "Artist" are professions that give you a bonus to your Rehabilitation action/healing test. But small-tee therapists are just your buddies who want you to get well. So anybody can be a small-tee therapist; you just don't get as many benefits.
    Rada
    Retired

Number of posts : 80
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Rada Tue 30 Dec 2008 - 20:10

This type of thing in a game is always difficult because the game designer has to balance the desire for consequences for violent acts with ensuring players still have fun.

I think Trent has done a fairly good job with this balance. I think he pushes things a little too far in the direction of using trauma as a punishment, but my guess is that it comes from one too many vampire games with guns and violence as the central focus.

More often than not Trauma is voluntary. For those who enjoy that part of the game, you can always do extra tests when you feel it is appropriate. For those who don't, do the tests when required, and rehab immediately if you get some surface trauma.

Another option (not necesarily for Providence, but just as an idea in general) is for the Storyguide to eliminate all not mechanical (anything not from techniques,etc.) trauma altogether and trust people to roleplay. I must admit, that's partially what I've done with Rada. I've succeeded on the 2 trauma test I've been required to make, but for everything else rather than pester Jill to watch me roll a die, I've altered the character's behavior to reflect his experiences.

Of course take everything I'm saying with a grain of salt. I'm typing this on very little sleep.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Tue 30 Dec 2008 - 20:16

I'm not comfortable with the idea of removing a large part of the game - taking Trauma from violating Morality is, IMO, a really important aspect of the game. And so is using Trauma tests for doing things like attempting suicide and witnessing stuff that *should*, IMO, cause, as my crazy grandmother would say, "trumna".

I *have* however, been pretty liberal with the consequences of acquiring Risk in downtime with a couple of characters. There have really only been two incidences where what I *knew* what Rada was doing that there ought to have been Trauma tests. And really, if Rada is learning from his wrathful ways, that's the point, isn't it?

What a Face
    Rada
    Retired

Post by Rada Tue 30 Dec 2008 - 20:31

I'm not really advocating removing anything from the game, just in certain games, altering its application. Outside of trauma inducing techniques, Trauma is basically just a tool by which the game designer, and his proxy the storyguide, forces players to roleplay out the correct consequences for their actions. In certain play situations, I could see the argument that players should be trusted with their characters' own emotional responses.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Tue 30 Dec 2008 - 21:19

Fair enough. Point taken.

I'd like to say, though, that I *do* trust my players to play their own emotional responses (no, I'm not saying you're criticising me or this game or anything; I want to make a point). I think that Trauma (and, by association, the Morality system) provides wonderful opportunities to explore your character's emotional responses. Much better than some of the other systems I've seen for LARP.
    Rada
    Retired

Post by Rada Wed 31 Dec 2008 - 15:40

I agree that this system does the job better than most. I'm also glad you didn't take my comments as criticism of you or the game because that is certainly not what I intended.

I think I would only look at altering the trauma system in a game with only players who had extensive experience with Kingdom Come (not just long time LARPers, but specifically with KC).

The trauma system makes for an interesting tool to guide roleplaying, I just think that (like all game mechanics) sometimes it gets in the way of the very roleplaying it is trying to promote.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Healing Trauma - Page 2 Empty Healing:Clarification

Post by cenobyte Tue 6 Jan 2009 - 15:23

You can only ever heal one level of Trauma per month.

However, there is the possibility that you might get more than one Healing Test per month.

As a quick review, the way you heal Trauma is as follows:
    You must heal during the downtime. If you have Mortal Trauma, you *cannot* heal yourself. You *need* someone else to take a Rehabilitation Action on your behalf. Otherwise, you can attempt a Rehabilitation:Self Action.

REHABILITATE SELF
    If you use the Profession "Artist" at Dedicated, you get a re-roll on your Healing Test. For Surface and Severe Trauma, the Difficulty scale is as follows*:

• Achieving Low Difficulty (2) on your Rehabilitation Action during downtime means you get to make a Healing Test at High (8) Difficulty.
    • Achieveing Moderate Difficulty (5) on your Rehabilitation Action during downtime means you get to make a Healing Test at Moderate (5) Difficulty.
    • Achieving High Difficulty (8) on your Rehabilitation Action during downtime means you get to make a Healing Test at Low (2) Difficulty.
    • Achieving Epic Difficulty (15) on your Rehabilitation Action means you automatically heal a Surface or Severe Wound.
    In Providence, I have been asking people to make their Healing Tests at the game with me before game play begins. That is not written in the book; it is my preference as a Storyguide. **Reminder: It is your responsibility as a player to keep track of your own Trauma.**

REHABILITATE OTHER

If someone takes a Rehabilitation action on your behalf (they would take a Rehabilitation:Other action), the same Rehab Test/Healing Test scale applies, *and* the person taking the Rehabilitation:Other action can use Techniques (like Absolution and Confession, which give you up to 3 Inspirations on your Healing Test) as well as the profession "Therapist" at Dedicated (which gives you a re-roll on the Healing test).

**Anyone can attempt a Rehabilitate:Other action.** There is no prerequisite to attempting a Rehabilitation action.

AID
    You can provide Aid to someone who is attempting a Rehabilitate:Self action, however, you cannot use the Therapist profession or Techniques to give them re-rolls or Inspirations. Basically, Aid is like, as Trent says, giving someone bus fare and sending them on their way to the clinic. Rehabilitation:Other is more like actually sitting down with them and helping them with their porblems.

You can provide Aid to someone who is attempting to Rehabilitate *you*, as well. That basically means you're *allowing* someone to help you. You might not be doing as much as you *could* (if you were also doing a Rehabilitate:Self action, as well, say), but you're at least participating. [Note: when you have Mortal Trauma, you cannot Aid a Rehabilitation action.]

HEALING TEST
    Once you have achieved (or once someone has achieved on your behalf) at least one Difficulty Level in the downtime system using Rehabilitation, you can make a Healing Test. If you have taken a Rehabilitation:Self action *and* someone has taken a Rehabilitation:You action on your behalf, you will be able to make two Healing Tests (at the Difficulties listed above; the inverse of the Difficulty achieved on the Rehabilitation Action).

*HEALING TEST FOR MORTAL TRAUMA
    If you are attempting to heal Mortal Trauma, the Difficulty scale is as follows:

• If Low Difficulty (2) is achieved on the Rehabilitation action, the Healing Test is performed at a High (8) Difficulty.
    • If Medium Difficulty (5) is achieved on the Rehabilitation action, the Healing Test is performed at Low Medium (5) Difficulty.
    • IF High (8) or Epic (15) Difficulties are achieved on the Rehabilitation action, the Healing Test is performed at Low (2) Difficulty.

The basic difference with healing Mortal Trauma is that you never 'automatically' heal Trauma, whereas with Surface and Severe Trauma, once you hit 15 Marks on your Rehabilitation Actions, you automatically heal your Trauma.

Last edited by cenobyte on Tue 6 Jan 2009 - 15:49; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : disabled the gorram smileys.)
    Keth
    Keth
    Retired

Post by Keth Tue 6 Jan 2009 - 18:13

That was a large amount of information, cleared up a few unasked questions I had. Thanks Jill.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue 6 Jan 2009 - 19:54

Inspirations give you a +1 to your roll, right? So if someone needed a 3 or more to succeed and had 2 inspirations, it wouldn't be possible to fail?

I see that you can use Adversity Zeal to give yourself an inspiration. Is there a limit on that, or can someone with 4 Adversity Zeal burn it all on one roll?
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Tue 6 Jan 2009 - 20:37

First, there is no longer any Adversity Zeal in the game. It's called Devotion.

Second, no. Inspirations do not give you a +1 to your die roll. Inspirations add to your Prowess. Advantages give you a +1 to your die roll. So if you had 2 Inspirations for your Healing roll, then yes, it would be possible to fail.**

Third, sure, if you want to blow all of your Devotion for Inspirations, then sure. Go ahead. You can spend one Devotion per rank, but you cannot raise any of your Prowesses above 9 by using Devotion. Um, and to be very clear, you can only spend one Devotion per rank. So if you have a Dynamic Body of 4, you can only spend 4 Devotion. Likewise, if you have a Dynamic Body of 5, you can only spend 4 Devotion (because you can't raise any Prowess above 9 by spending Devotion). So I guess you can really only spend up to 4 Devotion, unless you have a Preeminence that allows you to spend more.

Fourth, that would be *really* twinky, and I would heartily encourage you not to do it.

**In this example, Nick achieved a Moderate (5) Difficulty on his Rehabilitation action, which means the Difficulty of his Healing Test will be 5. Nick's Dynamic Soul is 3, so that means that he has 2 Disadvantages on his die roll (that means he has to roll a 6 to succeed on his Healing Test). Before the roll, Nick chooses to spend 3 Devotion to gain 3 Inspirations on his Healing Test. Using the 3 Devotion would raise his Dynamic Soul to 6 for the purposes of his Healing Test. Because Nick's Prowess is now higher than the Difficulty, he will now succeed on a 3, 4, 5, or 6.

Devotion refreshes at each game event, so if Nick blew all of his Devotion on getting Inspirations for this Healing Test, he will have no Devotion to use for the rest of the game, and won't have any until the following month's game.
    Rada
    Retired

Post by Rada Tue 6 Jan 2009 - 21:05

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that a character could only heal one trauma/month. That actually brings up a point I was meaning to ask about. When can a character get more than 1 trauma in a month. I thought the only time that could happen was if the player wanted to. That being said, it seems like a bunch of characters got to their mortal trauma pretty quick. I wasn't sure if they were just not healing old severe trauma, thought it would be cool roleplaying to get more than 1 in a month, or if I once again was using out of date info? My understanding of the rules was that it was virtually impossible to get mortal trauma without wanting to.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Tue 6 Jan 2009 - 21:43

It's *possible* to get more than one Trauma per month, depending on what you're doing and how you're doing it. Normally, you're right. Normally, characters will only be asked to, at most, make one Trauma test per month. However, there are situations where more than one Trauma test may be made. And this doesn't include the scenario when players give their own characters Trauma as they see fit.

F'rinstance, accumulating too much Risk can cause your Storyguide to ask you to make a Trauma Test; experiencing the Hollow Death prompts a Trauma Test. Committing suicide prompts a Trauma Test (in addition to the Hollow Death/near death experience Trauma Test).

In the case of this game, if you're asking about specifics, people were not healing their trauma at the rate of 1/month.
    Rada
    Retired

Post by Rada Tue 6 Jan 2009 - 22:57

I wasn't wanting to know about specifics with regards to characters in our game, just specifics as to what can cause trauma above the 1/month rule and I believe you answered it.
    Corral
    Corral

Post by Corral Wed 7 Jan 2009 - 13:21

Oops, I should note that "Nick's" post was actually mine. I was apparently using his account. Oops.

Also, it's clear that low prowesses are FAIL. With very few wound levels and very small chance of healing each month, a person might as well do nothing else with their endeavours. Razz

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024 - 4:13