Providence

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Providence

Providence is a LARP game using Trent Yacuk's Kingdom Come system. It is a game of Fallen Angels and their struggle to survive against the forces of Heaven and Hell and some things in between.

Who is online?

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 163 on Fri 24 Sep 2021 - 11:21

Gallery

Using Prowesses Empty

Blog Posts

Latest topics

» Shutting down the Forums
Using Prowesses EmptyTue 3 Aug 2010 - 11:47 by cenobyte

» Magic Creation-Zeal Table
Using Prowesses EmptyTue 3 Aug 2010 - 11:28 by cenobyte

» Houses of the Blooded in Regina, August 28th
Using Prowesses EmptyWed 14 Jul 2010 - 15:02 by Bal

» The Sentinel's journal
Using Prowesses EmptyThu 8 Jul 2010 - 20:13 by Dorian Mason

» Character backgrounds
Using Prowesses EmptyTue 6 Jul 2010 - 12:19 by Corral

» The dreams of Edward
Using Prowesses EmptySun 4 Jul 2010 - 0:32 by Edward

» Some of Eliel's secrets
Using Prowesses EmptySat 3 Jul 2010 - 17:35 by Corral

» Question/June Game
Using Prowesses EmptyThu 1 Jul 2010 - 22:51 by cenobyte

» "Map" of the Fallen
Using Prowesses EmptyThu 1 Jul 2010 - 14:17 by Molior

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 3440 messages in 394 subjects

We have 47 registered users

The newest registered user is Cyurus

4 posters

Using Prowesses

cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Number of posts : 860
    Location : She is overfond of books, and it hath addled her brain.
    Registration date : 2008-06-24

Using Prowesses Empty Using Prowesses

Post by cenobyte Mon 29 Dec 2008 - 17:21

As mentioned at the game, when 'activating' or 'doing' something, you will always use your Dynamic stat. So if you're verbing, you're using your dynamic stat. Heh. Little grammar humour there.

But seriously. Offensive actions, activating Techniques, arguing a point...all of these things will go off of your Dynamic Stats. A note about avoiding taking/healing Trauma:
    When you are trying to avoid **taking** Trauma, you will use your Reactive Stat.
    When you are trying to **heal** Trauma, you will use your Dynamic Stat.
    So when the Storyguide or another character asks you to roll a Trauma test, you're comparing your Reactive Stat versus the Difficulty of the challenge. You only use your Dynamic Stat when you're rolling a Healing Test.

A question came up about Techniques.
    When you are using your Techniques; when you are activating your Techniques, you will be using your Dynamic Stat (versus your target's Reactive Stat).

The only time you'll be doing a Dynamic vs. Dynamic challenge is in combat *or* when you're using the same Technique (Hallow vs. Hallow, f'rinstance) or two different Techniques that are designed to kinda blast off against each other (Inner Silence vs. True Voice, f'rinstance).

Every other time, you'll be doing Dynamic vs. Reactive.

Last edited by cenobyte on Sun 3 Jan 2010 - 22:41; edited 2 times in total
    Keth
    Keth
    Retired

Number of posts : 207
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Using Prowesses Empty Re: Using Prowesses

Post by Keth Fri 12 Jun 2009 - 22:03

This kinda fits here. A question that I have been asking for some time but was never 100% clear on.

How do the numbers compare to something a human being can actually do for say, feats of strength?

Before the rule switch over I had an idea about what they might be, is that still the same?

Anyway, before I get too far. What I found out (ish) on my own was the following.

Average human being (assuming the listed 50 build point for a human) will have either 2 or 3 body. (3, 3, 2 build = 45 creation zeal for humans who don’t get the first one free.)

So for example, what i understand of the dynamic prowess for body:

1 ) not a very physical person.. at all!
    2 ) Average (average, you and me basically?)
    3 )Above average (lift: maybe bench press your own weight? Jogging Wascanna probably an average workout maybe?)
    4 ) Exceptionally well trained/conditioned.
    5 ) ?
    6 ) ?
    7 ) normal human absolute max. I am thinking this would be something on par with Olympians/ world record holders for strength, stamina, speed, etc.
    8 ) *Super human Range: can lift a motorcycle over your head.
    9 ) *Super Human Range: can lift a car over your head
    10+) No longer contained within normal human form. Your body gets much bigger stronger, yeah you break things. By accident.

*Super human + Cinematic Point = catch a moving wrecking ball

the only ones I know for sure are 8, 9 and remotely 10.

5 and 6, I dont have much to base a guess on those areas.

I was just wondering if we could get a more accurate scale about how those go/things you might be able to feasibly accomplish regularly with any given build point in the dynamic sets. (assuming that the basic principles of what entitles ‘super human’ is consistent, body is just the easies one to ask about)
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Fri 12 Jun 2009 - 22:59

Ummm.
    I don't really know how to answer this.
    Scales of this kind are usually used, In My Not At All Humble Opinion, for describing a 'super hero'. Originally, KC had these ratings and comparisons, but they were removed more or less so that these types of comparisons wouldn't be made.

If you *force* me to answer the question, I'd say that an Archetype of 3 is 'average human', 6 is 'exceptional human', and 9 is (a - not permitted, and b -) super-human.

I'd let anybody catch a moving wrecking ball. Some would do better than others in the recovery department.

So in short, I don't like answering these questions because I don't think in these terms. Perhaps someone else will have more concrete answers for you.
    Keth
    Keth
    Retired

Number of posts : 207
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by Keth Fri 12 Jun 2009 - 23:07

cenobyte wrote:
    I'd let anybody catch a moving wrecking ball. Some would do better than others in the recovery department.

That part made my day, thank you Smile

cenobyte wrote:
    So in short, I don't like answering these questions because I don't think in these terms. Perhaps someone else will have more concrete answers for you.

Unfortunatly that is the way I happen to think and how my brain processes the information. Ill attempt to do a little better to keep it in check. (Though it still does grate on my nerves not having a more specific baseline) Thank you for the quick response Smile
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Fri 12 Jun 2009 - 23:59

Don't apologise, Dan. I completely understand that some people need different things. Different ways of thinking of things. That's why I've asked someone else (Johnathan?) for their opinions on the matter.
    Eliel
    Eliel

Number of posts : 198
    Registration date : 2009-01-16

Post by Eliel Sat 13 Jun 2009 - 2:58

I've thought of 1 as "average" human. the 50 build points is for non-introverted PC humans. I would think Joe on the street would be less than that. Also keep in mind most real people have a lot of their "points" in things like proffessions (especially proffessions not listed in the book) and resourses. If I was building an average guy on the street, I would probably go 3 in one archetype and 2 in each of the other. That essentially gives 21 points in total put 1 to 5 into resources, a couple into SP, another couple in devotion, a 4 in proffessions and 1 in each of the 6 prowesses. That leaves an additional 2 to 6 points left over.
    To me 2 is a human who is good at something. Someone who worksout most days, someone who could go to university, someone who could make a good living in sales.
    At 3 your moving into straight A's in highschool (but probably a couple B's in post-secondary), making a living as an athlete (but in the minors, not quite yet getting the crazy money), and the guy who can sweet-talk his ex that he cheated on into sleeping with him just this one last time.
    4-5 Neuro-surgeons, Quantum Physicists, Pro Athletes, Elite Snipers, Charismatic Political Leaders, Rock stars
    6 This is the higest a human can be without being "distinctive". This would be the territory of Stephen Hawking, Michael Phelps, and Barack Obaba.
    7 The book describes "distictive" humans as being literally a "cut above" regular humans. Not quite "potent" or supernatural but still not quite the same as regular people. To me this is not longer the smartest, fastest, strongest, most charismatic, or most strong-willed person in the world. We are now entering into the territory of smartest, fastest, strongest, most charismatic, or most strong-willed person of the last few centuries.
    Arc
    Arc
    Retired

Number of posts : 155
    Registration date : 2008-08-07

Post by Arc Sun 14 Jun 2009 - 5:33

Ugh, no pressure...thanks Jill Wink

Although in days past I would have been right with Eliel (Dave) and Keth (Dan) on this front trying to get these sorts of things figured out, usually to provide myself some limit of what is both cool and acceptable to others, I've over time developed a different concept of how this works in Kingdom Come than in other more physics grounded systems. My understanding is something like this:

Fundamentally Fallen are still stuck in human bodies so unless they have a super power that says they can do something humans can not, i.e. Moderate Brimstone making you immune to fire, you assume that if it would hurt you as a player it would hurt your character to some degree. It is the degree part that people like to fixate on, I'm guilty of this as well. Try not to think of the stats as a scale though, think of them as benchmarks. I've tried to adopt language when thinking about stuff in character that follows the mechanics of the game so here's what I usually think of when confronted with a situation. What follows is purely my interpretation and is not likely in the rules or should really be construed as an actual authority interpretation.

Difficulty. Something that's easy is a 2. Something that takes a little time or training to accomplish is a 5. Something that takes a lot of effort, a bit of luck, and a bit of time to work out is an 8. Something you could spend your life working on and still may not accomplish or have an answer to is a 15. Weilding a wrecking ball involves a crane and machinery and is intended only for rhetorical clarity. I don't think anyone except maybe a Wrath with Pure Smite could even consider moving a wrecking ball more than a foot for more than a second.

The stats are a way of approaching a threshold. at 2, you can usually do an easy thing when you first try it. You would require essentially divine or infernal intervention to make something 8+ to work on the first try...like actually hitting someone with a wrecking ball, or surviving it.

At 5-6 you can usually do something that requires training most of the time on the first attempt. You would still require some luck to actually hit someone with a wrecking ball, or survive it.

At a 8-9 you can usually do what trained people do without concern for personal injury on the first try. At this level you would be really skilled or really well adapted to what you are doing. You could probably hit someone with a wrecking ball, and could likely get out of the way thus negating the question of surviving it. Since no stat can go higher than 9, although you can have more than 9 Archetypes in a category, this is the limit of what we consider.

Other examples could be jumping from a 3 story building which I would term as diff 8 for a human. Stat 2 means you shouldn't think it likely you're going to keep walking after landing. Stat 5 means you might be able to roll out of the landing if you get lucky. Stat 8 means you're that guy who pioneered the field of the urban jumping that is so popular these days that I saw on that science show and are thus likely to survive but you know you are still taking a big risk of injury trying it. I'll stick with that since examples on a mental or social effect are much less quantified in our experiences.

The real question I think is can you assign a fair difficulty for something that a normal person would consider with the result you intend. The stat then reflects how likely you are to achieve a possible result compared to that and are all within the human range without making anything "for sure." Having a 200 IQ doesn't guarantee that you know the answer to everything you run across, just that you are more likely over more attempts to find the right answer, which usually equates to failing fewer times.

So, short story long and long story summed up: Stat of 2 is average. Stat of 5 is an athlete/academic. Stat of 8-9 is someone who lives eats and breathes their chosen Stat, when they aren't using it in conflict or to solve a problem they've trained endlessly everyday awaiting for the problem. But at the end of the day, it's still human, your other powers are how you are touched by Creation beyond that.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Mon 15 Jun 2009 - 17:36

Also, I wanted to point out that while a "distinctive" human may have more than X Prowess, what makes them "distinctive" in terms of KC is that they can sense the Symphony.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 15 May 2024 - 16:53