Providence

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Providence

Providence is a LARP game using Trent Yacuk's Kingdom Come system. It is a game of Fallen Angels and their struggle to survive against the forces of Heaven and Hell and some things in between.

Who is online?

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 163 on Fri 24 Sep 2021 - 11:21

Gallery

Random Basic Questions about the rules. Empty

Blog Posts

Latest topics

» Shutting down the Forums
Random Basic Questions about the rules. EmptyTue 3 Aug 2010 - 11:47 by cenobyte

» Magic Creation-Zeal Table
Random Basic Questions about the rules. EmptyTue 3 Aug 2010 - 11:28 by cenobyte

» Houses of the Blooded in Regina, August 28th
Random Basic Questions about the rules. EmptyWed 14 Jul 2010 - 15:02 by Bal

» The Sentinel's journal
Random Basic Questions about the rules. EmptyThu 8 Jul 2010 - 20:13 by Dorian Mason

» Character backgrounds
Random Basic Questions about the rules. EmptyTue 6 Jul 2010 - 12:19 by Corral

» The dreams of Edward
Random Basic Questions about the rules. EmptySun 4 Jul 2010 - 0:32 by Edward

» Some of Eliel's secrets
Random Basic Questions about the rules. EmptySat 3 Jul 2010 - 17:35 by Corral

» Question/June Game
Random Basic Questions about the rules. EmptyThu 1 Jul 2010 - 22:51 by cenobyte

» "Map" of the Fallen
Random Basic Questions about the rules. EmptyThu 1 Jul 2010 - 14:17 by Molior

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 3440 messages in 394 subjects

We have 47 registered users

The newest registered user is Cyurus

5 posters

Random Basic Questions about the rules.

Keth
    Keth
    Retired

Number of posts : 207
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Random Basic Questions about the rules. Empty Random Basic Questions about the rules.

Post by Keth Wed 14 Jan 2009 - 22:24

Yeah i figured I should maybe start one of these, at least for myself. I occasionally ask usefull questions that other people may like having the answer to.

Maybe its a good idea, maybe not. But it might save time/room, rather then making a new topic for each question.

Edit::Probably should have said rules/setting. but meh...

Last edited by Keth on Wed 14 Jan 2009 - 22:34; edited 1 time in total
    Keth
    Keth
    Retired

Random Basic Questions about the rules. Empty Re: Random Basic Questions about the rules.

Post by Keth Wed 14 Jan 2009 - 22:33

First question!
    What is the average assumed distance a fallen can clear on foot over the course of one day? (Usefull to know for those of us that dont have easy rider and were thinking about heading to another city.)

Second:
    With the demons so close and with this becoming relevant more and more. What can someone 'see' with true voice at meek, or at moderate, or at pure. and what is the range(distance at which an aura can be determined) of those three? Mostly Im just wondering how much someone with meek/moderate/pure true voice can tell about a celestial being. At meek i believe it was said you can distinguish horde or host or fallen, but beyond that you cant tell much of anything else. Figured i would double check.

Third:
    Do memories of past lives of any given fallen continue to come back to them as time progresses? or is the initial 'surge' basically what they end up with in terms of memories? ex: will a fallen 3 months reckoned, and 300 years reckoned still have the same number and potency of memories from their past lives? or will they have more? or less?
    Rada
    Retired

Number of posts : 80
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Random Basic Questions about the rules. Empty Re: Random Basic Questions about the rules.

Post by Rada Thu 15 Jan 2009 - 1:14

I won't quote the KC rulebook but according to Wikipedia:
    An average walking speed is about 4 to 5 km/h (2 to 3 mph)

Having higher prowesses would probably modify this, but I would think most fallen could easily cover 50km in a day.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Number of posts : 860
    Location : She is overfond of books, and it hath addled her brain.
    Registration date : 2008-06-24

Post by cenobyte Thu 15 Jan 2009 - 10:52

I concur with Dave on the first point. That sounds pretty reasonable.

What can someone 'see'
    with true voice at meek, or at moderate, or at pure. and what is the
    range(distance at which an aura can be determined) of those three?
    Mostly Im just wondering how much someone with meek/moderate/pure true
    voice can tell about a celestial being. At meek i believe it was said
    you can distinguish horde or host or fallen, but beyond that you cant
    tell much of anything else. Figured i would double check.

From the rulebook: "Meek: At this rank, the character may automatically determine the type (Celestial, Preternatural or naught) and approximate number of creatures (few: 1-5 or many: 6+) in their immediate area (approximately one block).
    "Moderate: A Fallen can now distinguish the true being type. Celestial: Fallen, angel or devils, demons. Preternatural: Nephilim, Potent Humans, Affections. The Embodiment of an angel, devil or Fallen can also be distinguished. They can also sense what Embodiment created an Affection.
    They can sense more specific numbers, including single (1), few (2-5), many (6-10) and lots (10+) (neighbourhood - about four to six blocks).
    "Pure: They can now sense the mixture of Embodiments within a being. They can sense the connection between an Affection and the Fallen who created the mark. They can sense very specific numbers now (the civitas)."

You cannot look for specific people, but you can look for specific Embodiments or Critter Types.

I have to point out my favourite part of the description of True Voice:
    "The Symphony is a wise and cunning entity. It may not send a Fallen to where they want to go, but it might lead them to where they need to go at that time." Very Lewis Carroll/Neil Gaiman. Lurve it.

Do memories of past lives
    of any given fallen continue to come back to them as time progresses?
    or is the initial 'surge' basically what they end up with in terms of
    memories? ex: will a fallen 3 months reckoned, and 300 years reckoned
    still have the same number and potency of memories from their past
    lives? or will they have more? or less?

A tough one to answer "for everyone". In some cases, yes, you begin to remember your past lives. In some cases, you might never remember specific details, but you will have the knowledge that you have lived before, many, many incarnations. You might never know that your name was Romulus Aggretor, and that you were a great orator in one of Rome's city states. You might not remember that you were Remi Marchildon, a piss boy during the French Revolution. Or, on the other hand, you might begin to have memories of a time when you lived among the druids and performed rituals with them, or that you were the wife of a Norse explorer, waiting at the edge of the sea every day for him to return.

Basically, it's up to you. There's certainly no mechanic set forward to govern how and when or even if your memories of your past lives return to you. The book does say that after you Reckon, you may begin to remember your past lives. But because it's all about story, it's mostly left up to you.

With one rider: You don't get to be a famous person. I'm sorry, but if the one thing that's going to really make the game for you is that you were Genghis Khan (or, for that matter, Ricardo Montalbahn, rest his soul), your Storyguide will probably tell you "sorry, that one's taken". You might have been an *important* person (although I find the most interesting stories the ones where you are 'just another guy'...I really loved Rada's background where he was, more or less, "just another prison bitch".), but I strongly, STRONGLY encourage you not to pitch Napoleon, Superman, Yamauchi Kazutoyo, or JFK.
    Keth
    Keth
    Retired

Post by Keth Thu 15 Jan 2009 - 18:01

Thanks to you both Smile that answered the questions I had for now.
    Keth
    Keth
    Retired

Post by Keth Thu 29 Jan 2009 - 19:24

This gets even weirder for a fortitude. And I dont believe it has been asked yet, or at least not asked where the search thinger could find it... so i will ask it now.

What exactly happens when you take a mortal wound? Do you simply fall nearly helpless struggling for life? are you actually dead and then have to go deal with purgatory/true death? If you simply fall helpless, then what, does some one need to 'coup de grace' you (to bring a term I only know from dnd) to finish you off? what if they use an offensive ontop of the mortal? do you actually die then without having to wait for the finishing blow?

Again this just gets messed up with fortitudes, so I am only asking for normal fallen/humans (mostly statistically).
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Thu 29 Jan 2009 - 21:03

When you take your last Mortal Wound (whether you're a Fortitude or not), at the end of the round in which you take it, you fall helpless to the ground. It is at this point that someone can attempt to cause you either Hollow Death or Final Death.

If your opponent(s) desist from causing further damage (ie. nobody kicks you in the nards), you will begin to heal at the regular rate.

You can only take one Mortal Wound per round of combat, and when you lose your last Mortal Wound, you are considered defeated. You don't immediately die, but you are at the mercy of your attacker(s). This means that even if your attacker uses extra Maneuvers to increase the damage they would cause with their attack, you will only ever take one Mortal Wound per round (and no, the wounds don't 'carry over' into the next round). So yes, someone needs to 'coup de grace' in order for you to be killed.
    Keth
    Keth
    Retired

Post by Keth Thu 29 Jan 2009 - 21:12

Is that for fallen/angels/demons/devils/nephilim only? or does it carry over to the squishy humans aswell? and thanks for the answer btw Smile

But now I expand on the question. Say for whatever reason a fallen fell from the top of the empire state building... Would that bypass the normal need to wait for the mortal? or would they actually recover from being goo on a sidewalk? A little dramatic... but i think you get the idea, do things that would make even keths wound levels go 'dude... holy shit' even bother with having to wait for the finish?
    Eliel
    Eliel

Number of posts : 198
    Registration date : 2009-01-16

Post by Eliel Thu 29 Jan 2009 - 23:18

On a slightly less morbid note, is there a game mechanical effect for someone taking their first mortal wound if they have more than one mortal wound box.
    Keth
    Keth
    Retired

Post by Keth Thu 29 Jan 2009 - 23:22

... does anyone get more than one mortal wound box these days? I know endure grants a few little things to extend the one mortal wound box but... more than one?

Never mind that! I forgot about one very specific thing.

And what I said wasnt morbid... morbid would have been if i actually described the texture, colour, and consistancy of the goo on said sidewalk...

and as an erreta to what I said in an above post. "It gets weird for fallen with pure endure. (not just fortitudes in theory)."
    Keth
    Keth
    Retired

Post by Keth Thu 19 Mar 2009 - 0:25

Alright here is another question. Maybe I just missed it, it iss known to happen.

In the combat system, are there rules dictating grappling and restraining an opponent rather then hurting them? So.. as an example, say Keth flips out (again) and whoever is around at the time decides it would be best to restrain him in some fashion as he is a fortitude and so very easy to hurt/render combat incapable.

How does that work? Or more appropriately, how does it work if combat is already started and your opponent is swinging to kill?

Like say some pacifist comes along and decides to restrain a demon (not hurting it when it is actively trying to kill them) instead of simply hitting it until it stops moving/isn’t funny anymore.
    Eliel
    Eliel

Post by Eliel Thu 19 Mar 2009 - 2:41

After winning a warfare challenge a player may forgo doing damage and instead spend a cinematic point to cause a potent hindrance. In order to do this they must also describe what their character is doing to cause said hindrance. Garppling would fall into this category.

This does not completely restrain a character but it is the only rules I can find in the big red booklet that simulates non wound oriented combat.

Another option that technically isn't in the book but I think would makes sense is just using the wound system and describe the actions differently. Remember that Mortally wounded does not mean killed. According to the big red booklet, the player inflicting the Mortal wound can decide if they have killed their opponent or not. Also once a character has taken the final Mortal wound, no more damage can be done to them that round. This means there is no "accidental" killing in KC. So descriptively, a player could easily describe the "wounds" that are done as getting a better and better grip on the opponent until finally when the mortal "wound" is inflicted the opponent has been restrained.
    Arc
    Arc
    Retired

Number of posts : 155
    Registration date : 2008-08-07

Post by Arc Thu 19 Mar 2009 - 6:15

I think in the case of falling Pure Endure does not get a chance to avoid the mortal wound since there is no one to make a contested Soul challenge with. Although perhaps if you had been pushed the ST could conceiveably allow a test against the person who pushed you.

Also, check out the professions for grappling, they are specifically cited as to when and how grappling in a dramatic scene works.
    Keth
    Keth
    Retired

Post by Keth Thu 19 Mar 2009 - 9:37

Well im glad Keth does not have to worry about falling Razz And I am also not sure about the falling thing. It wouldnt really matter though unless you ended up in a fight right after you fell. Pure endure does not exactly let you 'avoid' a mortal.. it just lets you pretend it isnt there as long as the adrenalin of a fight is still pumping through you. Once that adrenalin wears off the fortitude still drops.
    Eliel
    Eliel

Post by Eliel Thu 19 Mar 2009 - 17:15

Where does the book describe how proffessions affect grappling? I couldn't find it.
    Keth
    Keth
    Retired

Post by Keth Thu 19 Mar 2009 - 17:46

Bully, you can spend one rank of bully to 'pin' an opponent for one round. This effect ends if either of you are attacked. I dont know the exact wording, but thats what i got from it.
    Keth
    Keth
    Retired

Post by Keth Fri 20 Mar 2009 - 21:06

On a similar note.. are there any particular rules i missed about doing something instead of hurting your opponent in combat without haveing a specific maneuverfor it? like if you wanted to trip or disarm or anything like that? or is that all covered by using Cinematic Points?
    Eliel
    Eliel

Post by Eliel Fri 20 Mar 2009 - 21:55

Some Dramatic manouvres.
    Keth
    Keth
    Retired

Post by Keth Tue 14 Apr 2009 - 0:20

Time for a old/new one here.

I think it was asked before (but i cant find it for the life of me >.< ) and i dont remember if it was ever really answered then.

But what happens when an area is predominated?

What does it do to the fallen within the area? And more importantly, what does it do to the humans in the area?
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Tue 14 Apr 2009 - 10:07

Dan, all that information is in the book. It's in the "Secular Actions" section under "Predomination". I'd rather you refer to that rather than post it here, because there is rather a lot that happens, in certain situations.
    Keth
    Keth
    Retired

Post by Keth Tue 14 Apr 2009 - 13:01

Sorry, seems that I missed that area of the book completely.. maybe because that part fell out of my book.. maybe because im just loosing it.

Either way I think i have a better feel for it now.

Thanks for pointing it out.
    Keth
    Keth
    Retired

Post by Keth Sun 9 Aug 2009 - 17:11

As I am not content to simply stop asking questions.

Is Warfare considered its own prowess? separate from dynamic body/mind/soul, or is it just a term/number based on the prowess you actually use (probably dynamic body)?

The specific example I am wondering about is when someone uses devotion to increase their Warfare for a round. Are they increasing the Warfare specifically with the inspiration gained from the devotion or are they increasing their dynamic stat (probably body) which in turn increases the warfare ‘value’?

And on a related question. Is Warfare still limited at a value of 9 like other prowess’s, or would it be possible to use a whole bunch of inspirations to raise your Warfare to 10 or higher? If inspirations actually increase your effective dynamic stat this would obviously be no. But I figure it is best to be on the safe side and ask.

Lets hope this is clear.

and on a side note. Is Warfare still limited at a value of 9 like other prowesses, or would it be possibly to use a whole bunch of inspirations to raise your Warfare to 10 or higher?

Edit:: Yes I do realize this has the potential to be VERY twinky. That is why I am trying to get it cleared up in my own mind.

Last edited by Keth on Sun 9 Aug 2009 - 17:20; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added Edit)
    Arc
    Arc
    Retired

Number of posts : 155
    Registration date : 2008-08-07

Post by Arc Sun 9 Aug 2009 - 18:31

I think the wording for Strong Warfare indicates a strong inclination to the fact that Warfare cannot go above 9. Strong Warfare is an Inspiration to the physical dynamic stat while in combat. This would seem to indicate that Warfare is just a blanket term to indicate whatever it is you are using as your base dynamic stat in combat challenges. Since stats cannot be raised above 9 it would seem that Strong Warfare would have no effect on a person with a 9 dynamic stat unless they were to come under a Hinderance of some sort.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Sun 9 Aug 2009 - 19:13

Indeed. You cannot raise a Prowess above 9, through Inspirations, etc., in general. "Warfare" is not a separate Prowess; it's simply the term you use to describe your dynamic body fightery ability, including all your 'bonuses' (your Herculean Preeminence plus your Whatever Preminence, etc.). But these things (Preemiences, etc.) don't actually *raise* your Prowess; they just give you a bonus, and some of them only give you a bonus (Inspiration) for a limited time (some say 'the first round of combat' or 'the first challenge', etc.). Please refer to the BRB for complete descriptions of how (and when, and how often, etc.) the Preeminences work.
    When someone uses Devotion, they're not necessarily 'raising their Warfare', although that is one way to look at it - when you spend a point of Devotion, you *temporarily* increase a specific *Prowess*. So rather than having 3 Dynamic Body, you'd have 4 (for that combat round or challenge or whatever). Naturally, that raises your "Warfare" (which is determined by your Dynamic Prowess and any applicable Preeminences, etc.). But technically, it's not raising your "Warfare".
    Clear as mud?
    Keth
    Keth
    Retired

Post by Keth Mon 10 Aug 2009 - 6:17

Clear as day actually. That was (in my mind) the most likely answer but I felt the need to check and be sure. I dont believe it was ever specifically stated anywhere, or at least anywhere I found before the last game so there was that lingering doubt in the back of my mind that needed to be quelled just in case.

Thank you both for the quick responses.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 15 May 2024 - 16:37