Providence

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Providence

Providence is a LARP game using Trent Yacuk's Kingdom Come system. It is a game of Fallen Angels and their struggle to survive against the forces of Heaven and Hell and some things in between.

Who is online?

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 163 on Fri 24 Sep 2021 - 11:21

Gallery

Overseer Empty

Blog Posts

Latest topics

» Shutting down the Forums
Overseer EmptyTue 3 Aug 2010 - 11:47 by cenobyte

» Magic Creation-Zeal Table
Overseer EmptyTue 3 Aug 2010 - 11:28 by cenobyte

» Houses of the Blooded in Regina, August 28th
Overseer EmptyWed 14 Jul 2010 - 15:02 by Bal

» The Sentinel's journal
Overseer EmptyThu 8 Jul 2010 - 20:13 by Dorian Mason

» Character backgrounds
Overseer EmptyTue 6 Jul 2010 - 12:19 by Corral

» The dreams of Edward
Overseer EmptySun 4 Jul 2010 - 0:32 by Edward

» Some of Eliel's secrets
Overseer EmptySat 3 Jul 2010 - 17:35 by Corral

» Question/June Game
Overseer EmptyThu 1 Jul 2010 - 22:51 by cenobyte

» "Map" of the Fallen
Overseer EmptyThu 1 Jul 2010 - 14:17 by Molior

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 3440 messages in 394 subjects

We have 47 registered users

The newest registered user is Cyurus

+4
cenobyte
Arc
Jordan
Eliel
8 posters

Overseer

Eliel
    Eliel

Number of posts : 198
    Registration date : 2009-01-16

Overseer Empty Overseer

Post by Eliel Fri 20 Mar 2009 - 15:17

If a character has multiple levels of overseer can that let them go multiple levels over the SP/2 max in a single resourse or just 1 point over in multiple resources?

example: Bigcashiel has 4 SP and 2 overseer. He already has 2 temp spies and 2 temp wealth. Can he use his overseer to go to 4 temp in just wealth or can he only use it to go to 3 in each?
    Eliel
    Eliel

Overseer Empty Re: Overseer

Post by Eliel Fri 20 Mar 2009 - 16:41

I've re-read overseer again. It actually doesn't say anywhere that overseer only increases your max temp resources by one. Does having overseer remove all limits on a given temp resource?

ex. If I've got only 1 or 2 SP normally my limit on temp wealth would be 1. If I have 1 overseer does that now allow me buy my temp wealth up to 4?
    Jordan
    Jordan
    Retired

Number of posts : 76
    Registration date : 2008-08-01

Post by Jordan Mon 23 Mar 2009 - 13:21

Any resolution on this one yet?
    Arc
    Arc
    Retired

Number of posts : 155
    Registration date : 2008-08-07

Post by Arc Mon 23 Mar 2009 - 16:08

again, I don't have the book in front of me but I thought the example was very clear under Overseer that it raised all maximums by one for each temporary resource.
    Eliel
    Eliel

Post by Eliel Mon 23 Mar 2009 - 16:56

The wording is
    for every Overseer Resource possessed, you may purchsase one Temporary Resource above the limit of half your Secular Power

If I hadn't played the game with previous rulebooks, I think I would interpret that to mean any one resource can be increased beyond it's normal max to whatever the overall limit would be. As in, if I have 2 SP and 1 Overseer I could "assign" overseer to my thugs and now have as much Temp thugs as I want.

I know this is not how it worked in older editions but that is how I read it in this rulebook.
    Arc
    Arc
    Retired

Number of posts : 155
    Registration date : 2008-08-07

Post by Arc Mon 23 Mar 2009 - 23:52

I looked at it and read it as: you may have any of your temporary resources maximum limit increased by one.

As in: 4 SP + 1 Overseer meant you could have 3 temporary thugs and 3 temporary wealth and 3 temporary Lackeys.

It appears the example I was thinking of was how to total temporary resources.
    Jordan
    Jordan
    Retired

Post by Jordan Tue 24 Mar 2009 - 0:04

There seems to be enough ambiguity for a clarification in the text.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Number of posts : 860
    Location : She is overfond of books, and it hath addled her brain.
    Registration date : 2008-06-24

Post by cenobyte Tue 24 Mar 2009 - 19:13

It means if you have Overseer, you can have (your normal temporary resource in any one area) + 1

This confuses me:
    Dave wrote:if I have 2 SP and 1 Overseer I could "assign" overseer to my thugs and now have as much Temp thugs as I want.

You can never have as many Temporary resources as you want.
    Without an Overseer, you could have 1 Thugs Temporary Resource.

With Overseer, you could have 2 Thugs Temporary Resources.

Last edited by cenobyte on Tue 24 Mar 2009 - 19:21; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Star spangled pasties and a slightly psychotic devotion to the cats just made Terry that much more of an odd duck.)
    Eliel
    Eliel

Post by Eliel Wed 25 Mar 2009 - 1:30

That is a good way of it working. Before reading the Big Red Booklet, that is how I understood it to work also.

However, the BRB should use clearer language in saying that, as had I not played the game previously, that is not how I would have interpretted what the book said.

Also to go back to my original question, can more than one point of overseer be put into a single resource (as in 2 perm SP, and 2 overseer into temp Thugs to allow 3 temp thugs)?

Different but linked question: is 4 a hard limit on temp resources regardless of perm SP/overseer? The book doesn't say that it is, but it also doesn't give difficulties for the 5th point (If I was picking them myself, I would guess 22 for 5th and 37 for 6th based on previous progression). This isn't a far-fetched possibility; Even if more than one overseer can't be put into a single resource, 7 perm SP and an overseer isn't implausable (39 zeal from char. creation for a non-mature character and only 24 zeal for a mature one).
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Wed 25 Mar 2009 - 8:58

Noted. I thought the language was clear, but I'll look at it again.

Overseers aren't necessarily assigned to a particular Resource. I don't think I'd like the stacking of Overseers. Other Storyguides might feel differently.

I would also say that if you want to have more than 4 Temporary Resources in any area, you'd need Storyguide permission and a really, really good reason. Since there is no Difficulty Rank higher than Epic, each Storyguide would have to make that decision for themselves. I wouldn't allow it.
    Corral
    Corral

Number of posts : 359
    Registration date : 2008-06-25

Post by Corral Wed 25 Mar 2009 - 9:11

Jill, it took me a while to read the sentence the way he's seeing it, too. But watch my hands carefully:

for every Overseer Resource possessed, you may purchsase one Temporary Resource above the limit of half your Secular Power

is kinda like

for every Overseer Resource possessed, you may purchsase one Temporary Resource [of your choice] above the limit of half your Secular Power

Now go back and read the first sentence again. Your card was a six of clubs, am I right?
    Eliel
    Eliel

Post by Eliel Wed 25 Mar 2009 - 15:58

I think all it would take is rewording it:

for every Overseer Resource possessed, you may purchsase one Temporary Resource one above the limit of half your Secular Power.
    Eliel
    Eliel

Post by Eliel Wed 25 Mar 2009 - 16:01

I also want to clarify if overseer can apply to temp SP. Based on my reading of the BRB I would say that it couldn't since SP{ isn't a resource, but since this is a change from previous editions I wanted to make sure I was reading it correctly.
    Eliel
    Eliel

Post by Eliel Wed 25 Mar 2009 - 16:10

Also can overseer stack on it's opposed re-rolls? As in, if I put all 4 of my overseers into an investigate, do I get 4 re-rolls on the opposed investigate roll?
    Molior
    Molior

Number of posts : 124
    Registration date : 2008-06-26

Post by Molior Fri 27 Mar 2009 - 16:53

A random question because it sorta fits here: can you get more than 4 in any single Temporary Resource?
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Fri 27 Mar 2009 - 17:01

If you have more than 8 permanent Secular Power, I suppose it's a possibility.
    Hack

Number of posts : 52
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by Hack Fri 27 Mar 2009 - 19:04

or less if you have overseers (both temp and permanent)...
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Fri 27 Mar 2009 - 19:37

I think you can only have up to 4.
    Jordan
    Jordan
    Retired

Post by Jordan Fri 9 Oct 2009 - 15:10

I'm still not clear on the limits of Overseer. With 4 SP, 1 Overseer, 2 Spies, and 2 Wealth, can a 3rd point of Spies AND Wealth be purchased? OR would 2 Overseers be needed to get 2 different resources above the half SP mark? If this character purchased a 2nd Overseer, could a 4th point of Wealth be purchased if the intitial Overseer was dedicated to the 3rd point of Wealth? In essence, does a dot of Overser allow you to purchase one additional dot ... and 2 dots let you purchase 2 additional dots? Can these 2 additional dots be in the same resource or must they be in different ones? Or does each dot of Overseer allow you to purchase all of your temporary resources to that many levels above half your SP?

Was the question about dedicating multiple Overseers to the same opposed action to gain additional opposed re-rolls addressed?

ALSO, can Overseers be used to purchase additional temporary Secular Power (does SP act like a resource)?
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Fri 9 Oct 2009 - 16:04

1) An Overseer allows you to get *one* additional Resource over your limit. 1 Overseer = 1 resource. Therefore,
    2) 2 Overseers allows you to get *two* additional Resources over your limit (meaning, you may raise two individual Resources over your limit, and NOT that you may raise one Resource twice).
    3) It doesn't matter what Resource you raise, as long as you "tie" your Overseer to that resource. ie. Your character with 4 SP, 1 Overseer, 2 Spies, and 2 Wealth would have had to dedicate that Overseer to Wealth 3 (in your example). It could just as easily have been dedicated to a third Spies. A second Overseer would allow you to raise *another* Resource, so if you'd chosen to dedicate the first Overseer to Wealth (thus allowing you to get Wealth 3), you could dedicate the second Overseer to Spies (thus allowing you to get Spies 3).

Clarification - are you asking whether the second Overseer could *also* be dedicated to your Wealth resource? Thus bringing you from 2 Wealth to 4 Wealth?

Each Overseer you assign to an Opposed Action provides you with *one* reroll on the Opposed Roll.

AFAIK, temporary SP does act like a resource, but I'll check on that. Temp SP *might* be excluded from the Overseer binge.
    Friedrich
    Friedrich
    Retired

Number of posts : 127
    Registration date : 2009-10-25

Post by Friedrich Wed 4 Nov 2009 - 21:31

cenobyte wrote:Clarification - are you asking whether the second Overseer could *also* be dedicated to your Wealth resource? Thus bringing you from 2 Wealth to 4 Wealth?

I didn't ask the initial question, but I'll attempt to clarify as I heard it asked and how I want to hear it asked. :)

Could the second overseer in the above example follow in the steps of the first? If the first overseer is used to allow purchase of Wealth 3, then can the second overseer be used to allow purchase of Wealth 4 *instead* of a third level of another resource?

cenobyte wrote:Each Overseer you assign to an Opposed Action provides you with *one* reroll on the Opposed Roll.

So, my next Investigate action with 2 Overseers will get *2* opposed rolls. Unless of course the first opposed roll succeeds.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Wed 4 Nov 2009 - 21:40

Could the second overseer in the above example follow in the steps of
    the first? If the first overseer is used to allow purchase of Wealth 3,
    then can the second overseer be used to allow purchase of Wealth 4
    *instead* of a third level of another resource?

No.
    If you have 4 SP, then your limit for Resources is 2 in any one Resource *unless you get an Overseer*. If you get an Overseer, you can get 3 Resources in any one area. I am not fond of the idea of "stacking" Overseers. The BRB doesn't specifically say you can't do it (it also doesn't say you *can*), but I'm not allowing it.

Friedrich wrote:
    cenobyte wrote:Each Overseer you assign to an Opposed Action provides you with *one* reroll on the Opposed Roll.

So, my next Investigate action with 2 Overseers will get *2* opposed rolls. Unless of course the first opposed roll succeeds.

You can assign 2 Overseers to 1 Action, yes.
    Friedrich
    Friedrich
    Retired

Number of posts : 127
    Registration date : 2009-10-25

Post by Friedrich Wed 4 Nov 2009 - 21:47

Thanks, Jill. I think you mentioned the answer to the clarification earlier, but it never hurts to ask and answer things using different words, right? ::grin::
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Wed 4 Nov 2009 - 22:31

I'm just pleased the two answers match.
    Eliel
    Eliel

Post by Eliel Thu 5 Nov 2009 - 1:41

Falleniel has 6 SP, 1 temp overseer and 4 temp spies. What happens if he loses his temp overseer. Does he lose the temp spies as well automatically? Does he just lose use of it until he regains his overseer and then gets it back for free or would he need to achieve the 15 marks again to get his spies back, even though all he technicallly lost was a 2 mark resource? If he had 2 temp overseers and 2 other temp resources at 4 would he get to choose which one could no longer be at 4?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 14 May 2024 - 19:34