Providence

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Providence

Providence is a LARP game using Trent Yacuk's Kingdom Come system. It is a game of Fallen Angels and their struggle to survive against the forces of Heaven and Hell and some things in between.

Who is online?

In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 163 on Fri 24 Sep 2021 - 11:21

Gallery

Background stories are more than flavour text Empty

Blog Posts

Latest topics

» Shutting down the Forums
Background stories are more than flavour text EmptyTue 3 Aug 2010 - 11:47 by cenobyte

» Magic Creation-Zeal Table
Background stories are more than flavour text EmptyTue 3 Aug 2010 - 11:28 by cenobyte

» Houses of the Blooded in Regina, August 28th
Background stories are more than flavour text EmptyWed 14 Jul 2010 - 15:02 by Bal

» The Sentinel's journal
Background stories are more than flavour text EmptyThu 8 Jul 2010 - 20:13 by Dorian Mason

» Character backgrounds
Background stories are more than flavour text EmptyTue 6 Jul 2010 - 12:19 by Corral

» The dreams of Edward
Background stories are more than flavour text EmptySun 4 Jul 2010 - 0:32 by Edward

» Some of Eliel's secrets
Background stories are more than flavour text EmptySat 3 Jul 2010 - 17:35 by Corral

» Question/June Game
Background stories are more than flavour text EmptyThu 1 Jul 2010 - 22:51 by cenobyte

» "Map" of the Fallen
Background stories are more than flavour text EmptyThu 1 Jul 2010 - 14:17 by Molior

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 3440 messages in 394 subjects

We have 47 registered users

The newest registered user is Cyurus

3 posters

Background stories are more than flavour text

cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Number of posts : 860
    Location : She is overfond of books, and it hath addled her brain.
    Registration date : 2008-06-24

Background stories are more than flavour text Empty Background stories are more than flavour text

Post by cenobyte Thu 19 Nov 2009 - 11:01

There is a reason (there are a number of reasons, actually) why I ask players to write up a background for their characters. First and foremost is that I think it can really help the *player* understand the character a little better. In my opinion, the more you delve into who your character was before s/he Reckoned, maybe play around with some fleeing memories of Past Lives, the better you get to know the character. I have always found it helpful to make up a little background, even if it's only a character being played for one night, that was handed out at the door. It is very difficult to effectively play a character who has *no* background - where neither the player nor the character have any idea who they are or where they have come from.

It's also really important to the story of the game. The better you understand your own character, the more interesting some of the interactions you will have with other characters.

Third, if the Storyguide doesn't have a background (even if it's just in point form, even if it's just a single paragraph), s/he has to 'make it up' when someone Investigates your character or her history. And sometimes, Storyguides don't like doing that, because it's an awful lot like commandeering your character, which is, in some Storyguide's opinions, pretty terrible.

So that's why this Storyguide offers you up to 5 Zeal for your background (what do you have to do to get the 5? Write a good background that's MORE than point form or more than 1 paragraph; although if you can write a comprehensive background in the form of Hemingway's six word story (and I challenge you to do so!), I'll be suitably impressed): because your Storyteller doesn't want to have to commandeer your character.
    Tyg
    Tyg

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2009-04-20

Background stories are more than flavour text Empty Re: Background stories are more than flavour text

Post by Tyg Thu 19 Nov 2009 - 12:55

Doh, does this mean I didn't get past a C- on my report?
    Can I get a makeup exam?
    Smile
    Edward
    Edward

Number of posts : 37
    Location : In the dreams that haunt her both when she is awake and asleep,
    Registration date : 2009-07-01

Background stories are more than flavour text Empty Re: Background stories are more than flavour text

Post by Edward Fri 20 Nov 2009 - 4:12

hmmm ... Now i am intrigued a backstory is on it's way, alone with a couple tries at a 6 word story. ^.^
    Tyg
    Tyg

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2009-04-20

Post by Tyg Fri 20 Nov 2009 - 10:03

"Aw damn. Those WERE the droids..."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content