Providence

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Providence

Providence is a LARP game using Trent Yacuk's Kingdom Come system. It is a game of Fallen Angels and their struggle to survive against the forces of Heaven and Hell and some things in between.

Who is online?

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 163 on Fri 24 Sep 2021 - 11:21

Gallery

ic vs ooc terms - Page 2 Empty

Blog Posts

Latest topics

» Shutting down the Forums
ic vs ooc terms - Page 2 EmptyTue 3 Aug 2010 - 11:47 by cenobyte

» Magic Creation-Zeal Table
ic vs ooc terms - Page 2 EmptyTue 3 Aug 2010 - 11:28 by cenobyte

» Houses of the Blooded in Regina, August 28th
ic vs ooc terms - Page 2 EmptyWed 14 Jul 2010 - 15:02 by Bal

» The Sentinel's journal
ic vs ooc terms - Page 2 EmptyThu 8 Jul 2010 - 20:13 by Dorian Mason

» Character backgrounds
ic vs ooc terms - Page 2 EmptyTue 6 Jul 2010 - 12:19 by Corral

» The dreams of Edward
ic vs ooc terms - Page 2 EmptySun 4 Jul 2010 - 0:32 by Edward

» Some of Eliel's secrets
ic vs ooc terms - Page 2 EmptySat 3 Jul 2010 - 17:35 by Corral

» Question/June Game
ic vs ooc terms - Page 2 EmptyThu 1 Jul 2010 - 22:51 by cenobyte

» "Map" of the Fallen
ic vs ooc terms - Page 2 EmptyThu 1 Jul 2010 - 14:17 by Molior

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 3440 messages in 394 subjects

We have 47 registered users

The newest registered user is Cyurus

+3
Bal
cenobyte
Eliel
7 posters

ic vs ooc terms

Corral
    Corral

Number of posts : 359
    Registration date : 2008-06-25

ic vs ooc terms - Page 2 Empty Re: ic vs ooc terms

Post by Corral Tue 15 Jun 2010 - 23:22

Big T or little T, it means the same thing. If you have special neat tricks you can do, you better fess up.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Number of posts : 860
    Location : She is overfond of books, and it hath addled her brain.
    Registration date : 2008-06-24

Post by cenobyte Wed 16 Jun 2010 - 15:50

Heh. You sounded like Ash for a minute there.
    Eliel
    Eliel

Number of posts : 198
    Registration date : 2009-01-16

Post by Eliel Sat 19 Jun 2010 - 12:19

What complicates but also could explain matters is that Fallen don’t just speak in English. My understanding is that since the Fallen were never afflicted with the Curse of Babel, they just understand when something is spoken to them. The “intent” is of the word is communicated not just the “sounds” within it.

For example, a fallen from Mexico is giving a recipe to a Fallen from Regina and they say there is Jicama in it. The Fallen from Regina who has never heard of Jicama before doesn’t just hear a number of sounds that he would have to look up in a dictionary like you and I would. He hears the meaning of the word and in that instant knows what a Jicama is. Since ooc, we as players don’t have the necessary superpowers to accurately portray this universal translator effect we continue to speak in English. I have worked under the assumption that some of the Fallen aren’t speaking English but it really doesn’t matter since they can communicate perfectly either way.

Prior to hearing Jill’s ruling on using technique names last year I assumed the same applied to technique names as any other word. So barring supernatural interference, even if a Fallen from Mexico uses a different word for a technique than the one here, the meaning of the word is instantly communicated. The Fallen do use different words for techniques but it doesn’t matter because even if your word for Enslave is garglefruuze, when you say it, I instantly know you mean Enslave. Again lacking nescesary superpowers ooc to duplicate this effect I figured we could just say Enslave. This changed last year when Jill informed us that we would be docked xp if she caught us using technique names.

Now there were two solutions to this problem (other that solution # 3 which was to convince Jill that I was right and she was wrong – not happening) that I saw. Option # 1 was every time I used a technique I would make up the word I use for that technique and then drop ooc and explain to the other player, “when I say this you know I mean x”. Since I hate dropping out of character I rejected this option as anything other than a fun way to annoy Jill. Option #2 was to somehow think up an explanation that could explain how this apparent internal inconsistency within the setting didn’t ruin my suspension of disbelief. So I have just operated under the understanding that there is supernatural interference with the True Voice when it comes to the names of techniques. So, essentially while Fallen are exempt from the Curse of Babel for most words, they are afflicted by it specifically for techniques. This also explains why even if they wanted to Fallen couldn’t come up with a common name for their techniques and have to describe them each time.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Sat 19 Jun 2010 - 18:02

What can I say? It's one of Trent's rules that I really like. There are others I really like, too (some from previous versions of the rules, which I've heard about recently). But I'm kind of a jerk about awarding and removing Zeal. I also remove Zeal when players spend time OOC at a game, for whatever reason. Using OOC terms IC is a prime example of being OOC, and so sure! That's a Zeal removal!

I've always been of the opinion that if you're going to play in a LARP, you should spend your time IC.

What a Face
    Bal
    Bal

Number of posts : 102
    Registration date : 2009-07-28

Post by Bal Sat 19 Jun 2010 - 18:23

cenobyte wrote:What can I say? It's one of Trent's rules that I really like. There are others I really like, too (some from previous versions of the rules, which I've heard about recently). But I'm kind of a jerk about awarding and removing Zeal. I also remove Zeal when players spend time OOC at a game, for whatever reason. Using OOC terms IC is a prime example of being OOC, and so sure! That's a Zeal removal!

I've always been of the opinion that if you're going to play in a LARP, you should spend your time IC.

Fair enough on the docking Zeal for spending time OOC - I remember back in SbN how anyone starting to go OOC would see you coming with your little notepad and pencil and shut the hell up and get back in character. I now do it myself when running ongoing chronicles - the combo of telling folks you'll dock XP for that kind of stuff, than wandering around with a notepad really seems to help. Smile

With the terms though - it is just one of those things that is inconsistent. I really would recommend to Trent he either remove that line, or add explicit IC justification for it. Otherwise, it is just going to be one of those things most STs houserule out of the book within the first three months of play, and the more rules like that there are in a book, the weaker a book it'll be percieved as being.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Sat 19 Jun 2010 - 20:13

Fair enough.
    I'm not the sort of person who needs justification, but I accept that others are.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024 - 22:18