Providence

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Providence

Providence is a LARP game using Trent Yacuk's Kingdom Come system. It is a game of Fallen Angels and their struggle to survive against the forces of Heaven and Hell and some things in between.

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 163 on Fri 24 Sep 2021 - 11:21

Gallery

Protect? Empty

Blog Posts

Latest topics

» Shutting down the Forums
Protect? EmptyTue 3 Aug 2010 - 11:47 by cenobyte

» Magic Creation-Zeal Table
Protect? EmptyTue 3 Aug 2010 - 11:28 by cenobyte

» Houses of the Blooded in Regina, August 28th
Protect? EmptyWed 14 Jul 2010 - 15:02 by Bal

» The Sentinel's journal
Protect? EmptyThu 8 Jul 2010 - 20:13 by Dorian Mason

» Character backgrounds
Protect? EmptyTue 6 Jul 2010 - 12:19 by Corral

» The dreams of Edward
Protect? EmptySun 4 Jul 2010 - 0:32 by Edward

» Some of Eliel's secrets
Protect? EmptySat 3 Jul 2010 - 17:35 by Corral

» Question/June Game
Protect? EmptyThu 1 Jul 2010 - 22:51 by cenobyte

» "Map" of the Fallen
Protect? EmptyThu 1 Jul 2010 - 14:17 by Molior

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 3440 messages in 394 subjects

We have 47 registered users

The newest registered user is Cyurus

5 posters

Protect?

Corral
    Corral

Number of posts : 359
    Registration date : 2008-06-25

Protect? Empty Protect?

Post by Corral Thu 10 Jun 2010 - 16:04

Can you Protect someone if you don't know where they are? Because I assumed you couldn't. But if you can't, it causes a disparity between Protect and Hunt actions, always giving the advantage to the Hunter, who can just start killing. (Not that this is likely to come up often.)
    Cole
    Cole

Number of posts : 49
    Registration date : 2010-02-08

Protect? Empty Re: Protect?

Post by Cole Thu 10 Jun 2010 - 23:03

I think that if you want to look at continuity it comes down to story. If you know where the subject's Domus is and camp out outside it, great. There is nothing to say that if you don't, that you can't describe your action along the lines of keeping your ear to the ground for anyone or anything moving against the subject and then getting in the way of those individuals/things.

Nothing says that Protect actions have to be accepted. You can protect someone against their will.
    Bal
    Bal

Number of posts : 102
    Registration date : 2009-07-28

Post by Bal Fri 11 Jun 2010 - 10:53

In fact, I think it actually makes great sense storywise often to have two people who do not know where the target is, both racing to find the target first and interfering with the other's attempts to locate the target...one doing a Hunt, the other a Protect. Pretty classic.
    Corral
    Corral

Post by Corral Fri 11 Jun 2010 - 10:55

Yeah, but does it work that way? You can do a Hunt immediately and it incorporates the finding. Can you do a Protect the same way?
    Cole
    Cole

Post by Cole Fri 11 Jun 2010 - 12:25

Corral wrote:Yeah, but does it work that way? You can do a Hunt immediately and it incorporates the finding. Can you do a Protect the same way?

Only if you write it up that way so that the Storyteller has that understanding of your action.

KC downtime is very versatile in that you can actually submit stories for downtime -- and are encouraged to do so -- that help write the communal story being told. The trick is to make sure that the write-ups are reasonable for your character and the story, which is where the Storyteller veto can submission to re-work your intent into a manageable story for the game.

Trust me, if you write-up your action it generally makes things much easier for the Storyteller as they have an idea not only of the mechanics you are submitting but what the intent was behind those mechanics. It can make all the difference.
    Eliel
    Eliel

Number of posts : 198
    Registration date : 2009-01-16

Post by Eliel Fri 11 Jun 2010 - 23:50

To Laura's point, yes Hunt is mechanically more advantageous than protect. Persecute is also more mechanically advantageous than Acquire. There are several other examples that follow a similar pattern. A central theme of KC is how it is significantly easier to destroy than to create (I have always assumed this was intentional on Trent's part but could also be a quirk of how he has designed the mechanics). The key I think is to have one's character behave accordingly.
    Corral
    Corral

Post by Corral Mon 14 Jun 2010 - 11:30

... So I've gotten two different answers to the question. Storyteller?
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Number of posts : 860
    Location : She is overfond of books, and it hath addled her brain.
    Registration date : 2008-06-24

Post by cenobyte Tue 15 Jun 2010 - 9:00

Um. I don't see the two different answers.
    Corral
    Corral

Post by Corral Tue 15 Jun 2010 - 10:24

For the question "Can protect be done on someone with unknown location?" I see the answers, "Yes, if you write it up that way," and "No." Maybe I'm reading something wrong.
    Cole
    Cole

Post by Cole Tue 15 Jun 2010 - 11:08

Eliel wrote:To Laura's point, yes Hunt is mechanically more advantageous than protect.

I'm not sure that I agree with this. I guess it depends on how you consider it and what you are protecting against.

With Hunt you have to accumulate marks but in the end it comes down to an opposed roll. For Protect, yes there are diminishing returns on the bonus to the protected's secular defense; however, when protecting against hunts, so long as you get two marks you are at the scene as well. I suppose this may only be a good thing if you are personally capable of helping to protect the individual.

Then again, there are other ways to shield people from harm. You can hinder incoming attacks against someone or try to induce complications to attacks by sabotaging the people making them.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Tue 15 Jun 2010 - 12:19

Well, I suspect if you did a protect action on someone who you don't know where they are, you'd have to provide a writeup about it, otherwise your result will be "you hang out at so-and-so's Domus and make sure nobody fucks with it" or "you follow so-and-so around all month and make sure nobody fucks with him/her".
    Corral
    Corral

Post by Corral Tue 15 Jun 2010 - 18:59

And if, say, somebody wanted to protect an Angel that they knew people were organizing a Hunt on? Would they automatically fail?
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Tue 15 Jun 2010 - 19:40

There's no such thing as an "automatic fail".
    Again, depending on the writeup, and on a dozen other factors, it's certainly something I would consider.
    Corral
    Corral

Post by Corral Tue 15 Jun 2010 - 19:48

OK.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content