Providence

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Providence

Providence is a LARP game using Trent Yacuk's Kingdom Come system. It is a game of Fallen Angels and their struggle to survive against the forces of Heaven and Hell and some things in between.

Who is online?

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 163 on Fri 24 Sep 2021 - 11:21

Gallery

Change Empty

Blog Posts

Latest topics

» Shutting down the Forums
Change EmptyTue 3 Aug 2010 - 11:47 by cenobyte

» Magic Creation-Zeal Table
Change EmptyTue 3 Aug 2010 - 11:28 by cenobyte

» Houses of the Blooded in Regina, August 28th
Change EmptyWed 14 Jul 2010 - 15:02 by Bal

» The Sentinel's journal
Change EmptyThu 8 Jul 2010 - 20:13 by Dorian Mason

» Character backgrounds
Change EmptyTue 6 Jul 2010 - 12:19 by Corral

» The dreams of Edward
Change EmptySun 4 Jul 2010 - 0:32 by Edward

» Some of Eliel's secrets
Change EmptySat 3 Jul 2010 - 17:35 by Corral

» Question/June Game
Change EmptyThu 1 Jul 2010 - 22:51 by cenobyte

» "Map" of the Fallen
Change EmptyThu 1 Jul 2010 - 14:17 by Molior

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 3440 messages in 394 subjects

We have 47 registered users

The newest registered user is Cyurus

5 posters

Change

Keth
    Keth
    Retired

Number of posts : 207
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Change Empty Change

Post by Keth Tue 9 Jun 2009 - 21:59

I feel like asking.

And I will try and keep the rambling to a minimum.

Keth is the first character i have ever played in a LARP, and as such I cant really compare him to anything else.

Anyway, its been just over a year since Keth came to be. At the start of that time he was a common crook (common knowledge so I don’t care if anyone knows it). Now.. Well.. it is almost scary how much he has changed in just one year (sarcasm: crook to sociopath ;P big step) . At least I find that he has changed a fair bit.

Back to the point. Anyone else feel that way about their characters? Thinking about just how much they have grown over the last year and being surprised?

What I find really terrifying though, is how much I learned from him so far. How a completely fictional character (who has no place in his society) can teach you so much. Anyone else have similar sensations?
    Eliel
    Eliel

Number of posts : 198
    Registration date : 2009-01-16

Change Empty Re: Change

Post by Eliel Wed 10 Jun 2009 - 1:30

I would answer yes to both questions.

Virtually all non-one shot characters I've played have changed over the time I've played them. In some cases it's because as the character became more fully developed, I realized some of my original envisionings of the character were flawed. In other cases it was character growth as events and relationships changed the charactr over time. This rarely surprises me though. Like most good works of fiction character development is key to the story remaining interesting.

As for the second point, I have also learned much "from" many of my characters. While I take a certain amount of pride in trying to have a wide variety of character types, certain elements my own personality always get introduced into the character. Watching the character gives insight into things I like and dislike about myself but from a safe distance. The flip side is that LARP is also a great way to see the other side of a point of view. Playing characters I radically disagree with has on many occasions helped me to understand, if not nescesarily agree with, positions on certain things that I previously had a great deal of problems with.

Great topic btw.
    Arc
    Arc
    Retired

Number of posts : 155
    Registration date : 2008-08-07

Post by Arc Wed 8 Jul 2009 - 19:10

I'm very much with Eliel on learning from one's character. I tend to play only concepts that I am interested in exploring and from each one that I have gotten to play out to some measureable degree I have learned a lot. That isn't to say that I don't occassionally default to a concept I've already used when I get into a new game setting, some tricks are the best tricks for finding out what I like or don't like about a system or setting. Each of my characters have a core that remains fundamentally unchanged from concept start to end but that doesn't say that they don't change dramatically in how or what they do or think like.

One of the difficulties I've had with exploring a character in a larp environment is that monthly games often mean years of real-time commitment to see through what would likely happen to someone over months if I was to be in character more often. We all spend time thinking about our characters between games, some even have the luxury of side-scenes on a regular basis which greatly enhances the time we do get to play our characters. But the real-time commitments aside there is also something about how quickly people run through things in character development that I have often found off-putting for a story and a game. Change is good. Too much change too quickly results in unreliability for everyone else in the game.

I'm an old man and don't have nearly as much time for gaming as I used to. As a result I tend to be more and more picky and elitist about the games I do join and the players I choose to interact with. This isn't to say I wasn't elitist and picky before, just that I'm moreso than I was. New gamers in general, or people new to a setting are always rushing to explore. They are like bulls rushing into the pasture trying to find every cow in sight. This is to be expected and encouraged to a point and the older I get the more I wish to savour certain mysteries or endure certain hardships longer. So with all you young bulls out there try not to change too fast for this old stallion to see, he likes seeing the change progress, that's his way of seeing the story. Well, and sometimes so he can control it. Dance my onions, go forth and do my budding.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Number of posts : 860
    Location : She is overfond of books, and it hath addled her brain.
    Registration date : 2008-06-24

Post by cenobyte Wed 8 Jul 2009 - 20:48

Oh yeah, Johnathan. You're an old man.

Sheesh.

"And at that LARP, I wore an onion on my belt...as was the style of the time..."
    Arc
    Arc
    Retired

Post by Arc Wed 8 Jul 2009 - 20:50

The combined age difference between me and the other players is over a century. That's a very long time.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Wed 8 Jul 2009 - 20:52

Pffffft.
    The combined age difference between *any* of the players and the other players is over a century. For that matter, six of the players in this game together have over a century of experience. That doesn't make us them OLD. It makes them cooooool.

What a Face
    Arc
    Arc
    Retired

Post by Arc Wed 8 Jul 2009 - 20:54

Old has always been cool once it becomes retro. We've survived the dark age and see the re-emergence of our youth in others. If that doesn't qualify as old then I don't know what else could.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Wed 8 Jul 2009 - 20:55

What qualifies as *old* is when your *liver* comes out your poop chute when you sneeze. THAT's old.
    Arc
    Arc
    Retired

Post by Arc Wed 8 Jul 2009 - 20:57

That happened so long ago I thought I had managed to erase said event from the communal reality of all...
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Wed 8 Jul 2009 - 21:02

I'm not going to believe you until I see your liver in a jar. The selfsame liver you pooped out when you sneezed.

Erm. Dan, as you can see, I have learned very little from my characters over the years.

Also, that is a complete lie.
    Arc
    Arc
    Retired

Post by Arc Wed 8 Jul 2009 - 21:05

In conclusion, do everything I say because all my ideas are good ideas. Change is good when it is paced to make a good story. Which is about the pacing required proportionally for good sex, only on a different scale. Now gaming is more fun. Enjoy.
    Love
    Love
    Retired

Number of posts : 65
    Registration date : 2009-06-30

Post by Love Thu 9 Jul 2009 - 17:19

I always make my characters with possible paths of evolution in mind - usually based on some kind of paradox in their personality or something that is going to eventually come out and cause them to think about themselves in relations to the issues around them. There's always their sense of self, or how they see themselves as they think others do/should, then there is something that is really railing against that which might be triggered in the course of play.

These sort of internal conflicts tend to be based off of questions or conflicts that I can see in myself or that I see other people going through. So I think that in that way I play through the progression of conflict and tend to figure out the question or learn how to face it in a different way. The trick is not going through it too quickly so that you can't portray this sort of progress to your audience, the fellow players. It doesn't have to be bludgeoningly obvious (but it could be), and it doesn't have to be so loud that everyone hears about it. But it's nice to be able to give one or two other characters/players a peek into what is going on so that they can get in on your narrative. It's one of the many beauties of live action roleplay; the ability to share stories and tell them collectively.

I do admit that a lot of the time I really can't hold on to plot secrets of my own and often let out clues to the long term internal conflict that is in development, but one of the most exciting and rewarding things for me in roleplaying is finally having that big moment where you reveal the conclusion of events out in the open and savor that bit of spotlight you've been planning for for however many months. Or better yet, one of the characters who you've been involved with in their conflict (or even set off Razz) finally reveals the end result of whatever chain-events that you have been a part of.

It's these moments that are great to witness in a game. It's these evolutions from the original idea we have of our characters that make coming out and playing each month a treat because when our characters change and grow through their experiences, whether they are successes or losses, we have an end product that is different then what we could have imagined ourselves creating in the very beginning. And I guess to conclude this all, I have had characters that have felt like they made themselves. And through playing through their sometimes radically foreign outlooks I get to see different viewpoints and even facets of myself.

Characters are like chia pets. You gotta be patient, but it's fun to watch them grow.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024 - 10:07