Providence

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Providence

Providence is a LARP game using Trent Yacuk's Kingdom Come system. It is a game of Fallen Angels and their struggle to survive against the forces of Heaven and Hell and some things in between.

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 163 on Fri 24 Sep 2021 - 11:21

Gallery

Group actions and Aids Empty

Blog Posts

Latest topics

» Shutting down the Forums
Group actions and Aids EmptyTue 3 Aug 2010 - 11:47 by cenobyte

» Magic Creation-Zeal Table
Group actions and Aids EmptyTue 3 Aug 2010 - 11:28 by cenobyte

» Houses of the Blooded in Regina, August 28th
Group actions and Aids EmptyWed 14 Jul 2010 - 15:02 by Bal

» The Sentinel's journal
Group actions and Aids EmptyThu 8 Jul 2010 - 20:13 by Dorian Mason

» Character backgrounds
Group actions and Aids EmptyTue 6 Jul 2010 - 12:19 by Corral

» The dreams of Edward
Group actions and Aids EmptySun 4 Jul 2010 - 0:32 by Edward

» Some of Eliel's secrets
Group actions and Aids EmptySat 3 Jul 2010 - 17:35 by Corral

» Question/June Game
Group actions and Aids EmptyThu 1 Jul 2010 - 22:51 by cenobyte

» "Map" of the Fallen
Group actions and Aids EmptyThu 1 Jul 2010 - 14:17 by Molior

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 3440 messages in 394 subjects

We have 47 registered users

The newest registered user is Cyurus

5 posters

Group actions and Aids

Keth
    Keth
    Retired

Number of posts : 207
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Group actions and Aids Empty Group actions and Aids

Post by Keth Sat 12 Sep 2009 - 16:27

Hey, so since it came up

The risk in group actions is pretty clear in the BRB about what happens. But what about an aid action? If the aid action generates risk does it add to the risk of the initial action?

Or is the risk only for the one aiding the action? leaving the original action with marks based on success and the person aiding stuck holding the bag?

It does not say specifically in the BRB what happens (as far as I found) with 'aid risk' if someone else finds it please point it out to me so I can withdraw this question.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Number of posts : 860
    Location : She is overfond of books, and it hath addled her brain.
    Registration date : 2008-06-24

Group actions and Aids Empty Re: Group actions and Aids

Post by cenobyte Thu 17 Sep 2009 - 16:04

Any Risk generated on an Aid action goes to the person providing the Aid. It actually does mention it in the BRB, in the section on group actions in the Secular System chapter. I don't have the page number in front of me, because I haven't a book handy, but that's where it talks about Group actions/Aid and Risk.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Wed 23 Sep 2009 - 16:33

I've been over this too and can't find it on hand, but I know this is the way it's supposed to work.
    Corral
    Corral

Number of posts : 359
    Registration date : 2008-06-25

Post by Corral Wed 23 Sep 2009 - 18:20

I would have assumed it was the way Jill thought it was, but I looked it up in order to help by providing the page number, and it turns out the BRB disagrees. On page 235 some sample downtimes are given, action #5 being an aid. When the result of that is given on the next page, it clearly states that the person *getting* the aid gets the risk: "This risk is given to Jael, so Castiel does help him but also causes him some trouble."
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Wed 23 Sep 2009 - 19:15

Hrm. I may have it backward. I'll confirm it with the most recent edition of the book.

Duh.
    Yes.
    Risk is applied to the *action*. Therefore, if you are Aiding someone, and you incur Risk, the Risk affects (or is a result of) the action itself. F'rinstance, you're trying to help your mentor heal himself after having been cut up, and you accidentally knock the ashtray into his wound (this happened in a non-KC game I played in. Whups). That doesn't affect *you* (except that now your mentor is all pissy about going to the bar with you), but it does affect the action (it's now more difficult for him to properly heal the wound).

In terms of KC, let's take the example of a Group Hunt. Usually, Risk in a Group Hunt results in the hunters arriving scattered, or somehow tipping off the prey that something is afoot. So if you Aid a Group Hunt (I dunno, you give the Group a map of the inside of the apartment building) and incur Risk, the character being Hunted knows what's up (1 Risk), calls in reinforcements (2 Risk, say), or actually somehow launches a counter-attack (3 Risk, perhaps).

If you Aid someone in their Rehabilitation, any Risk you incur would cause the character you're "helping" to take a Hindrance on their Healing Test.

If you Aid someone in Research, the Risk you incur might tip off the flakes at the hippie store that you're *actually* REAL LIFE ANGELS and you'll have to find a new store, or start giving 'angel readings' "for free" in the future.

Stuff like that.

Moral of the story: if you're Aiding someone, it's best to mitigate your Risk. Unless the whole point is to eff up their action, in which case, you must jump up and down and clap your hands loudly and holler: "I'M HELPING!!!"
    Keth
    Keth
    Retired

Post by Keth Wed 23 Sep 2009 - 20:27

Makes sense, It isnt what I originally thought it might be. But it makes sense.

Thank you for the page reference and the clarification.
    Jordan
    Jordan
    Retired

Number of posts : 76
    Registration date : 2008-08-01

Post by Jordan Thu 24 Sep 2009 - 13:50

Could we possibly re-examine this rule or at least add an addendum to Aid?

I understood Aid to be a somewhat shallow assistance, like feeding those who are Hunting or Investigating, or maybe getting a book out of the library for Research, etc. If this is the case, I don’t see the rationale of the Risk flowing to the base action, I see the Risk going to the Aider (maybe you start a fire in the kitchen or you lose library privileges because of too many overdue books - in any case, your Risk does not impeed the base action). Or in the example from the post above, maybe those hippie flakes start to follow YOU around because YOU acquired the Risk and maybe they think YOU are special.

If the Risk flows to the base action, then Aid and Sabotage become very similar (sure Becca, I’ll help you rehab that trauma this month...he he he). The difference is the target action taker will know who ‘helped’ them; with the Aider happily corrupting that action with no actual detriment to themselves (but Becca, I was only trying to help)...beyond possibly a role-playing relationship issue.

I propose that Risk from Aid should rest with the person who is responsible for taking the action that acquired the Risk. It’s fair, logical, and consistent with other rules.

If that is not possible, then I propose that during downtime when an Aid action is proposed, the ST contact the potential target of the Aid to explain that so-and-so wants to help with such-and-such and ask DO YOU WANT TO ACCEPT THEIR HELP? If yes, fine ... if no, then the ST informs the Aider that their help is not wanted.

In general, with Risk flowing to the action instead of the person that acquired the Risk, the game system is encouraging secretive, individual action as opposed to promoting cooperative or group play where more people can be involved. I have the same beef with the interpretation of Predomination ... lets encourage group play and let those with the same Embodyment and similar morality work together.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Thu 24 Sep 2009 - 14:01

Actually, Risk is *always* applied to the action on which it is incurred; it's just that in almost every other case, it is one character taking an action, and so one character experiences the consequences of the Risk incurred. Applying Risk in this way *is* consistent with existing rules. Also, this is how Risk -> Aid has been managed in Providence since the beginning (it's just been a Very Long Time since an Aid action did generate Risk).

The downtime system is meant to be a LOT more sneaky and underhanded than the actual game play. That's why there are so many actions intended to bugger things up and harm other characters, and far fewer actions intended to Make Things Better.

I am not fond of the idea of the SG asking the target of an Aid action if they want help. At all. First of all, for every Aid action (and there are many each month), that could forseeably add enough extra work, waiting for replies, etc., that it would be incredibly frustrating. At least it would be for this Storyguide.

If the Risk flows to the base action, then Aid and Sabotage become very
    similar (sure Becca, I’ll help you rehab that trauma this month...he he
    he). The difference is the target action taker will know who ‘helped’
    them; with the Aider happily corrupting that action with no actual
    detriment to themselves (but Becca, I was only trying to help)...beyond
    possibly a role-playing relationship issue.

Yes, Aid and Sabotage *can* become similar, if you are playing a sneaky and underhanded character. The suggestion that the character providing Aid + Risk would have 'no actual detriment to themselves' I disagree with, because I would never assume that a 'role-playing relationship issue' is not paramount. In other words, it would seem to me that in a game based so heavily on relationships, throwing a wrench in any of those relationships makes roleplay more interested. In fact, the difference between Sabotage and Aid is HUGE, if you are actually *intending* to help someone. It wouldn't make sense to make an Aid action and hope that you get Risk if what you're really trying to do is eff something up.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Thu 24 Sep 2009 - 14:03

Also, please remember that Risk *never causes an Action to fail*.

That being said, if an Action is not successful AND you incur Risk, the Risk effects still apply.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Fri 25 Sep 2009 - 13:53

Also, you cannot give unrequested Aid.
    It's written in the Aid section in the BRB, and in the examples of actions under "Aid" in the BRB.
    Keth
    Keth
    Retired

Post by Keth Fri 25 Sep 2009 - 14:03

Well.. you could probably give the jumping up and down shouting "IM HELPING!" aid whether its wanted or not..

Though that probably wouldn’t be an ‘Aid Action’
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Fri 25 Sep 2009 - 14:05

I'm pretty sure that if you jump up and down and flap your arms and shout "I'M HELPING!!!", you're certainly Aiding *something*...
    Gabe
    Gabe
    Retired

Number of posts : 111
    Registration date : 2008-07-27

Post by Gabe Thu 1 Oct 2009 - 14:08

cenobyte wrote:Also, you cannot give unrequested Aid.
    It's written in the Aid section in the BRB, and in the examples of actions under "Aid" in the BRB.

Then you have no problem in my submission of Gabe's actions from now in the following manner? After all, if I don't then how are you to know if I've solicited Aid.

Action #1: Hunt the splinter in my big toe. -- NO AID ACCEPTED.

As opposed to:
    Action #1: Hunt the splinter in my big toe.

I'm sure with the latter wording, Arc would want to help and his clumsiness would lead to driving the splinter in deeper with those disease-ridden tweezers he insists on using. "Have faith," he says. Yeah, right.

Or maybe:
    Action #1: Hunt the splinter in my big toe. AID from JORDAN only.

After all, Jordan might spend five hours examining the toe first, but Gabe knows that he won't strike for the splinter until he has the best angle and has sterilized those tweezers. Group actions and Aids Icon_smile
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Thu 1 Oct 2009 - 14:11

You're welcome to indicate on your actions that you have not requested aid.

That makes more sense than me having to ask the Aidee if they've asked So-and-so for help, then telling so-and-so that they can't Aid Whatsisname, then having to get actions re-submitted from So-and-so.
    Gabe
    Gabe
    Retired

Post by Gabe Thu 1 Oct 2009 - 14:20

I'd also suggest that you not tell people if their Aid is rebuffed until they get their results. That would make me *very happy* for some reason.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Thu 1 Oct 2009 - 14:39

Well, it would make me very happy, too, but I can imagine some people getting Very Upset at having wasted Marks if they *thought* their Aid had been requested.

Reason number seven hundred and two for Better Communication Skills, I guess.
    Corral
    Corral

Post by Corral Fri 2 Oct 2009 - 12:15

"Well, it would make me very happy, too, but I can imagine some people
    getting Very Upset at having wasted Marks if they *thought* their Aid
    had been requested."

That, and aiding people who may or may not be submitting actions. *sigh*
    Gabe
    Gabe
    Retired

Post by Gabe Fri 2 Oct 2009 - 12:39

Malicia wrote:"Well, it would make me very happy, too, but I can imagine some people getting Very Upset at having wasted Marks if they *thought* their Aid had been requested."

That, and aiding people who may or may not be submitting actions. *sigh*

You know, J., I think I'm all for Better Communication. After all, we have email, forums, and a Facebook group. I even hear that they have these devices from way back that allow you to talk to someone and hear their responses near instantly. I think they were called "foans".

As for aiding people who don't submit actions, I don't see the problem with that. Aid is about making it easier for someone else to get things done. If you do prep work to smooth the way, or set things up to help mid-month, then that is a good IC use of your time. If the other character doesn't follow through and doesn't use the help that you spend your time arranging, then that develops a good IC conflict to be resolved through role-playing. I would much rather aid an action that isn't taken then use the OOC knowledge of the absence of the action to not do what my character would do.

Would Gabe be extremely irate? Of course. Gabe has more things he wants to do than time to do it. Do you think that Gabe would ever aid the individual again? Gabe would likely decide to lead the action in following months rather than rely on others to spearhead things. It helps to establish reputations for both himself and other characters. If Gabe was asked to help someone and they didn't follow through, you can be sure that Gabe will spread the word that it is a waste of time to help that person.
    Corral
    Corral

Post by Corral Fri 2 Oct 2009 - 12:56

True. True. That does put a different perspective on it. Thanks!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024 - 7:54