Providence

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Providence

Providence is a LARP game using Trent Yacuk's Kingdom Come system. It is a game of Fallen Angels and their struggle to survive against the forces of Heaven and Hell and some things in between.

Who is online?

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 163 on Fri 24 Sep 2021 - 11:21

Gallery

Group Aid Empty

Blog Posts

Latest topics

» Shutting down the Forums
Group Aid EmptyTue 3 Aug 2010 - 11:47 by cenobyte

» Magic Creation-Zeal Table
Group Aid EmptyTue 3 Aug 2010 - 11:28 by cenobyte

» Houses of the Blooded in Regina, August 28th
Group Aid EmptyWed 14 Jul 2010 - 15:02 by Bal

» The Sentinel's journal
Group Aid EmptyThu 8 Jul 2010 - 20:13 by Dorian Mason

» Character backgrounds
Group Aid EmptyTue 6 Jul 2010 - 12:19 by Corral

» The dreams of Edward
Group Aid EmptySun 4 Jul 2010 - 0:32 by Edward

» Some of Eliel's secrets
Group Aid EmptySat 3 Jul 2010 - 17:35 by Corral

» Question/June Game
Group Aid EmptyThu 1 Jul 2010 - 22:51 by cenobyte

» "Map" of the Fallen
Group Aid EmptyThu 1 Jul 2010 - 14:17 by Molior

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 3440 messages in 394 subjects

We have 47 registered users

The newest registered user is Cyurus

+2
Molior
cenobyte
6 posters

Group Aid

cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Number of posts : 860
    Location : She is overfond of books, and it hath addled her brain.
    Registration date : 2008-06-24

Group Aid Empty Group Aid

Post by cenobyte Tue 5 Aug 2008 - 23:35

You can engage in a Group Action for any action that draws an Opposed Challenge (Hunt, Investigate, Hinder, etc.). To do so, every character engaged in the Group Action must declare that they are taking a Group Action, and they must (obviously) all declare they are taking the *same* Group Action.

Each of your Actions will be dealt with separately by the Storyguide (a separate roll will be made for each individual in the Group). Every Mark generated is pooled and totalled, and the total is divided among each of the Group members (rounding down any remainders).

At this point, the Storyguide rolls the Opposed Challenge : the 'opponent's' Defense versus the "Marks" from the members of the group. If you think of this in terms of a basic challenge, this is the point at which Prowesses are being compared.

If the Groups' individual Marks are lower than the opponent's Defense, then each individual takes a Hindrance (either Potent or Simple) on the next series of rolls. This is where it gets exciting! The Storyguide rolls a basic challenge (one d6) for every person engaging in the Group Action. **The Group Action will be successful if any one roll for the Group is successful.**

Sound confusing? It is, a little, so I'll give you an example.

Malicia wants to find out what Keth has been up to for the past month. She manages to convince Shapurnippal, Molior, and Jade to give her a hand in her Investigate action. Each of the characters submits "Group Investigate Keth" as their Endeavour Action. After all bonuses, rerolls, Secular Power, and all the other bells and whistles have been tabulated, the roster stands like this:
    Malicia - 3 Marks
    Shapurnippal - 5 Marks
    Molior - 3 Marks
    Jade - 4 Marks

Once their Marks are pooled and then divided, it looks more like this:
    Malicia - 3 Marks
    Shapurnippal - 3 Marks
    Molior - 3 Marks
    Jade - 3 Marks

Keth has, through various devious and perfectly legal means, managed to acquire a Defense (Secular Power, Resources, etc.. Successful Hide actions give Keth re-rolls on the Opposed Challenge.) of 5. The Storyguide now performs the Opposed Challenge.

Because Keth's Defense is higher than the Group's average Marks, the Group takes a minor Hindrance (-1) to their Opposed Rolls. This means the Storyguide must roll a 5 or 6 for each of the Group members on the Opposed roll to get a success. (Incidentally, had Keth's Defense been double the Group's average Marks, the Group would have a Potent Hindrance (-2) to their Opposed Roll).

The Storyguide rolls as follows:
    Malicia - 3
    Shapurnippal - 3
    Molior - 5 (At this point, the Investigate Action is successful, but the Storyguide *REALLY* likes rolling dice, so she goes ahead and rolls for Jade anyway)
    Jade - 4

Because the Storyguide rolled a 5 for Molior, the Group Action was successful.

Pretty cool, huh? Now, if you're still with me, let's talk about Risk. For Group Actions, Risk is pooled, but not divided. So there is a very good chance, if Risk is not mitigated by at least some of the Group members, that Dire Risk could be generated (3+ Risk)...this can result in things like : every one of the Fallen in the city know what you've got up to; taking Traumatic wounds; the loss of Temporary Secular Power or Resources; etc..

Last edited by cenobyte on Tue 9 Sep 2008 - 9:02; edited 3 times in total
    Molior
    Molior

Number of posts : 124
    Registration date : 2008-06-26

Group Aid Empty Re: Group Aid

Post by Molior Tue 9 Sep 2008 - 3:36

A few questions arise in response to this. First, I'd like to be clear on your math. You list 3 Marks per person in your example, yet 15 Marks/4 people = 3.75. Is this rounding intentional?

Secondly, can we expect our SG to roll all actions in Group Actions, to determine the end Risk?
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Tue 9 Sep 2008 - 6:27

Is this rounding intentional?

Yes. The results are totalled, and then 'averaged out' (really, it's the mean), with all "remainders" being tossed aside. Which is to say, rounded down.

Secondly, can we expect our SG to roll all actions in Group Actions, to determine the end Risk?

Yes. Your SG rolls all of your downtime Endeavours Actions. Which is to say, a mitful of dice and a stack of Endeavours sheets is as good a way to spend an evening as any! What a Face

And, to be honest, your SG is having quite a ball with the downtime system. Confusion and all. Might I just say, as a corollary to my answer to your question, the point of the downtime system is to do your best to *avoid* taking Risk. I'm just mentioning that for the edification of one or two people in the peanut gallery who seem to accumulate an awful lot of the stuff. What a Face
    Marius
    Dead

Number of posts : 45
    Registration date : 2008-06-27

Post by Marius Tue 9 Sep 2008 - 13:50

Hm. My understanding was that the point of the downtime system was to get stuff done. My attitude has always been "Survival is not a win condition". If the goal is entirely to stay safe, I must say that I'm not interested.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Tue 9 Sep 2008 - 14:33

Okay, point taken (it was 5:30am, I was tired and sick...).

We're both not quite right.

The *point* of the downtime system is to add flavour to the game. The secondary point of the downtime system is to get things done. The point of there being a mechanic in the game that deals with things like Risk (which will never cause you to *die*, btw, so the survival not being a win situation is moot) is to make th eabove points *easier*. Of course, the point of Risk is to make things interesting and challenging.

I was just poking fun at a couple of youse who seem to be trying to take on all the Risk for the entire player base. What a Face
    Rebecca O'Malley
    Rebecca O'Malley
    Retired

Number of posts : 86
    Registration date : 2008-06-25

Post by Rebecca O'Malley Tue 9 Sep 2008 - 15:40

I have no idea who or what you are talking about.

Risk is awesome. Not that I go looking for trouble of course.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Tue 9 Sep 2008 - 15:56

Okay! I give!

You're all a bunch of Risk-loving fluffernutters! Okay?

Geez.

I was *talking* about Cheriour.

What a Face
    Rebecca O'Malley
    Rebecca O'Malley
    Retired

Number of posts : 86

Post by Rebecca O'Malley Tue 9 Sep 2008 - 18:55

What?? Cheriour has a problem with risk? Pfft. I don't believe a word of it.

What a Face
    Keth
    Keth
    Retired

Number of posts : 207
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by Keth Tue 9 Sep 2008 - 23:01

yeah cherior? no risk at all there... nope... none what so ever... Rolling Eyes
    Cheriour
    Cheriour
    Retired

Number of posts : 87

Post by Cheriour Wed 10 Sep 2008 - 16:04

Hey, it's not that Cheriour accumulates risk, it's that risk is attracted to Cheriour's devil-may-care attitude and masculine virility.

Obviously.

Sacha

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 6 May 2024 - 23:22