Providence

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Providence

Providence is a LARP game using Trent Yacuk's Kingdom Come system. It is a game of Fallen Angels and their struggle to survive against the forces of Heaven and Hell and some things in between.

Who is online?

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 163 on Fri 24 Sep 2021 - 11:21

Gallery

Court/Codex Business Empty

Blog Posts

Latest topics

» Shutting down the Forums
Court/Codex Business EmptyTue 3 Aug 2010 - 11:47 by cenobyte

» Magic Creation-Zeal Table
Court/Codex Business EmptyTue 3 Aug 2010 - 11:28 by cenobyte

» Houses of the Blooded in Regina, August 28th
Court/Codex Business EmptyWed 14 Jul 2010 - 15:02 by Bal

» The Sentinel's journal
Court/Codex Business EmptyThu 8 Jul 2010 - 20:13 by Dorian Mason

» Character backgrounds
Court/Codex Business EmptyTue 6 Jul 2010 - 12:19 by Corral

» The dreams of Edward
Court/Codex Business EmptySun 4 Jul 2010 - 0:32 by Edward

» Some of Eliel's secrets
Court/Codex Business EmptySat 3 Jul 2010 - 17:35 by Corral

» Question/June Game
Court/Codex Business EmptyThu 1 Jul 2010 - 22:51 by cenobyte

» "Map" of the Fallen
Court/Codex Business EmptyThu 1 Jul 2010 - 14:17 by Molior

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 3440 messages in 394 subjects

We have 47 registered users

The newest registered user is Cyurus

+3
Love
Molior
cenobyte
7 posters

Court/Codex Business

cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Number of posts : 860
    Location : She is overfond of books, and it hath addled her brain.
    Registration date : 2008-06-24

Court/Codex Business Empty Court/Codex Business

Post by cenobyte Mon 26 Oct 2009 - 19:28

I thought I'd make a quick post about some things that have to do with the Courts. This is more 'common knowledge' stuff, but if your character is newly Reckoned, please ignore it.

1) A King can appoint more then one Rook - usually in cities much bigger than Regina.
    2) A King can appoint more than one Knight - this is a risky measure, but it has been done.
    3) One King in every Civitas *should* know the Crucifixion Rite. That doesn't mean that both, or either, must know it.
    4) A King may not appoint more than one Queen
    5) There may not be more than one King for each Conviction.
    6) A King may appoint more than one Bishop.

It is rare, though not unheard-of, for a King to appoint a member of the Deistical to a court position. In this case, that person would be known as the Grey (Rook, Knight, Bishop) of the (Black, White) Court. The King may not be Grey.
    Molior
    Molior

Number of posts : 124
    Registration date : 2008-06-26

Court/Codex Business Empty Re: Court/Codex Business

Post by Molior Thu 29 Oct 2009 - 12:32

How rare is a Grey Queen?
    Love
    Love
    Retired

Number of posts : 65
    Registration date : 2009-06-30

Post by Love Thu 29 Oct 2009 - 19:52

I figure that it'd be pretty rare. Grey positions are generally chosen when there isn't some one who is suitable present within the Court, or denotes something of a trust issue. Since Queen is essentially second in the chain of command I think there would be a good amount of (possibly due) outcry from the members Divine/Infernal, as it means that their King a.) doesn't trust any of them, b.) thinks that there are no suitable choices within their own conviction, and c.) is willing to put a member of the Diestical in command over their Knights.

I could totally imagine this happening if the elected King distrusted the greater population of his conviction or all of them. It would definitely hurt some prides and make you not too loved a King through the subtext of choosing a Diestical as their right hand. Appointing a Grey Queen could also be read as 'my conviction is not strong enough to fill this position themselves'.

I can't recall reading anything of it but I've only heard of Grey Knights, Rooks and Bishops. These are just my logical guesses.
    Friedrich
    Friedrich
    Retired

Number of posts : 127
    Registration date : 2009-10-25

Post by Friedrich Thu 29 Oct 2009 - 20:33

Love wrote:These are just my logical guesses.

My logic matches your logic. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Well, it's really similar at least; my initial response to Mark's post was "Over my dead body!", but yours is close enough. :)
    Arc
    Arc
    Retired

Number of posts : 155
    Registration date : 2008-08-07

Post by Arc Fri 30 Oct 2009 - 11:03

I can appoint whoever I want as Queen. I'm King, I can do anything I want!

Mua-hahahahahahahaha!

P.S. What they (Love, Friedrich) said.
    Love
    Love
    Retired

Post by Love Fri 30 Oct 2009 - 11:12

Ahem...

*mach brimstone punch*
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Fri 30 Oct 2009 - 12:28

The only position that *cannot* be held by someone not of either the Infernal Conviction or the Divine Conviction is King.
    Eliel
    Eliel

Number of posts : 198
    Registration date : 2009-01-16

Post by Eliel Fri 30 Oct 2009 - 16:38

I was also under the impression that most "grey" knights are in addition to white and black Knights, not instead of. A grey knight of the _____ court can't challenge the king so that King has no real check on their power.
    Bal
    Bal

Number of posts : 102
    Registration date : 2009-07-28

Post by Bal Fri 30 Oct 2009 - 16:44

Eliel wrote:I was also under the impression that most "grey" knights are in addition to white and black Knights, not instead of. A grey knight of the _____ court can't challenge the king so that King has no real check on their power.

Knights in generally are probably by far the most common position to have multiples of - their your sergeants in the battle against the Host and the Horde. Anyone who is likely to regularily be doing battle with the Host & Horde should probably be either a Knight, or a member of a Knighted Congregation(a Congregation whose Prelate is a Knight), otherwise they need direct commands from the King or Queen in order to be allowed into battle. Obviously, it is to a Civitas' advantage to have combatants organized ahead of time into Knighted Congregations capable of joining battle using their own judgement.

Anyway, one would generally expect Grey Knights are appointed because the Diestical usually aren't expected to fight, but if there is a stand-out member who should be regularily called to battle, as opposed to just on special orders, they might be Knighted. But that would likely be in addition to the regular Knights, I think, for precisely the reasons you specify.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Fri 30 Oct 2009 - 16:56

Whether or not Grey knights are in addition to black/white knights is a convention up to each court; there's nothing in the rules or setting that says a Knight *must* be either Infernal or Divine, nor that a Court *must have* a Divine or Infernal Knight before appointing a Grey Knight.

The King *always* has a check on her power, because in addition to the more common 'challenge' issued by the Knight to the King (and remember: the King is usually first defended by the Rook), a King can be removed from her position by the Council. Basically, it's a vote of non-confidence, and both the White Queen and Bishop and the Black Queen and Bishop comprise the Council.

A Grey Knight could still challenge a King, but would have to name someone else to the position, should the Grey Knight be successful in his challenge.
    Eliel
    Eliel

Post by Eliel Sat 31 Oct 2009 - 11:25

Sorry Jill, once again I have gone off of memory of the old book where it had explicitely stated that a Grey Knight couldn't challenge a king. Any word on when we may be able to get a copy of the new book so we can find out about how the in character rules work.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Sat 31 Oct 2009 - 11:55

Actually, what the rules say is this:
    Grey Knights to not have the right to challenge for a King position, and Queens/Regents or Bishops have no vote on a council (although they are free to voice and to argue their opinions)

So. My interpretation of that setting information (found in the "Deistical" section of the "Codex" chapter, for those of you who decide to read the setting information at a game) is that Grey Knights are welcome to challenge the King, but not for her Position; the Grey Knight could challenge, but *must* appoint someone else, as Deistical *cannot* be King.

As I've mentioned numerous times before, anyone is welcome to read the setting/codex section of the rulebook on the computer at games, or when you're at my house. I will not make copies of this section, however. Which is why I find these threads helpful.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Sat 31 Oct 2009 - 11:56

Also, Dave, to answer your other question, We're currently planning for a spring release. But, things being what they are, and both the author and the editor doing this on a volunteer basis, it could take longer.
    Molior
    Molior

Number of posts : 124
    Registration date : 2008-06-26

Post by Molior Sat 31 Oct 2009 - 13:01

Wait. Could a Grey Knight then challenge EITHER King?
    Love
    Love
    Retired

Post by Love Sat 31 Oct 2009 - 13:13

Grey positions are (to my knowledge, this is just from me playing in Trent's games and onwards, text might have changed) 'of the White Court' or 'of the Black Court'. Shay, for example, is the Grey Bishop of the Black Court.

There fore, whichever Court they are filling a position for is the only one that they can Challenge. I've never heard of a Grey Knight having that ability, but my interpretation isn't the same as Jill's.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Sat 31 Oct 2009 - 14:02

Yes, Rhea, your opinion is the same as mine on this. There is a Grey ___ of the X Court. So the only King you could challenge as the Grey Knight is the King of your own court.
    Eliel
    Eliel

Post by Eliel Tue 3 Nov 2009 - 15:21

Grey Knights to [sic] not have the right to challenge for a King position, and Queens/Regents or Bishops have no vote on a council (although they are free to voice and to argue their opinions)
    ... could certainly be interpreted as you suggested, however (going by memory here), isn't the sentance right before that something like, "The one area no Deistical has sway over is the removal of a King.", and then the line you quoted. If my memory is correct, that would make it much more difficult to interepret the way you suggested.

That doesn't mean there has to be a regular knight in addition to the grey one, it just makes the King more powerful if there isn't. Also speaking of making the King more powerful, what would be your interpretation of the council needing to be unanimous in something. If only one of the council positions is filled with someone who can vote on King removal (for example no Black Queen, a Grey Bishop, no White Queen, and only a White Queen who can actually vote) are they powerless since the council needs 4 votes to be unanimous, or can they go all "Are you being served?" on the King's ass and be unanimous in themselves?

I realize to some extent these things would have different IC interpreations as well, but I'm curious if you view the world as having certain conventions regarding this.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Tue 3 Nov 2009 - 15:40

*snort*
    can they go all "Are you being served?" on the King's ass and be unanimous in themselves?

Dave, you just made my day.

I would say that the council needing to be "unanimous in this" (snicker), that would be up to the characters. *Traditionally*, no two Kings in their right minds would fill their council in such a way that there would be more Deistical than not who would either have to abstain from voting, or who could sway a Mandate or vote to remove a King. To me as Storyguide, it would be incredibly difficult to step in and say "Oh, Arc, you can't have Shay as your Bishop because Shamus has chosen Sarina as his Regent and that would unbalance the Council". In fact, I wouldn't do that. I'd let the character try to sort it out themselves. Hopefully, in that situation, *somebody's* Knight would step forward (or Regent) and say "BOLLOCKS!" or something to that effect.

Also, I can't imagine a King allowing a Deistical Knight if it would unbalance the ...erm... balance... of power. HOWEVER, on to the meat of the issue.

Kingdom Come rulebook, Codex section wrote:A Deistical may become a Queen/Regent, Bishop, Rook or, with the mutual agreement of the Kings, even a Knight. They thus gain the distinction of being a Grey member of a particular court. For example, a Deistical Fallen who is chosen to be the White Rook would be known as a Grey Rook for the White Court.

However, there is one area where the Deistical continue to have no sway, and that is the removal of a King. Grey Knights do not have the right to challenge for a King position, and Queens/Regents or Bishops have no vote on a council (although they are free to voice and argue their opinions). For this reason it is unwise for a King to choose casually the Deistical to fill the roles of the Court.

Grey Knights have special conditions in that they do not have Congregations outside of the Brood and are not expected to command their Deistical brethren into battle. They become lone warriors who may join up with other Choirs or Murders at the behest of a Queen/Regent.

Is what the Codex section has to say about the Deistical being Knights. While I see your point, Dave, I think I would rule that a Deistical Knight could challenge a King, but could not replace him. However, the reason this book is not available yet for sale is because things like this could be taken either way. And again, this is something that I would feel comfortable with characters settling IC - if someone was, say, a scholar of the Codex, one might use one's Cinematic Points to remember that in an obscure tract printed sometime in the 60s, there was evidence that the Civitas of San Francisco had a Grey Knight who was forced to challenge the Black King as the Black King had "done something" to the rest of the court, both black and white. That Grey Knight, having no choice BUT to challenge the King, and, having been successful, may have named her lover as Black King, only to watch her lose her life a month later when the entire Infernal Conviction removed her head at a tea party.

However, the vast, VAST majority of Fallen will never have ever heard of a Grey Knight being allowed to challenge a King.

Does that make sense?

Last edited by cenobyte on Tue 3 Nov 2009 - 15:41; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : #!**$%#@ formatting.)
    Friedrich
    Friedrich
    Retired

Number of posts : 127
    Registration date : 2009-10-25

Post by Friedrich Tue 3 Nov 2009 - 16:19

cenobyte wrote:That Grey Knight, having no choice BUT to challenge the King, and, having been successful, may have named her lover as Black King, only to watch her lose her life a month later when the entire Infernal Conviction removed her head at a tea party.

Now here is the real travesty. Why weren't we made aware of the tea parties that the Infernal have? I swear, Jill, things like this should not be kept quiet.
    Eliel
    Eliel

Post by Eliel Tue 3 Nov 2009 - 16:32

Thanks Jill. Isn't it great when we agree on something 99%.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Tue 3 Nov 2009 - 17:14

Now here is the real travesty. Why weren't we made aware of the tea
    parties that the Infernal have? I swear, Jill, things like this should
    not be kept quiet.

It is the job of the Infernal to inform the other Convictions as to where and when the Infernal tea parties will be held. The Storyguide cannot track all the tea parties that occur every month.
    Eliel
    Eliel

Post by Eliel Tue 3 Nov 2009 - 17:40

If these involve Obama in a Hitler mustache, I respectfully decline.

I can handle Fallen Angels who are servents of evil embracing Sin and Vice, but Glenn Beck scares me.
    Arc
    Arc
    Retired

Number of posts : 155
    Registration date : 2008-08-07

Post by Arc Tue 3 Nov 2009 - 21:26

For those watching this thread and showing the obvious differences on what has been done in game in regards to this text:

Arc requires that his Bishop vote in Council meetings, much to her discomfort. He's an ass like that.
    Also, given everything that Arc has done, put into context, it would be clearly easy to assume that he would allow a Grey Knight to challenge a King but not be able to become King on account of his being a fencesitt...er...member of the Brood.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 29 Apr 2024 - 1:10