Providence

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Providence

Providence is a LARP game using Trent Yacuk's Kingdom Come system. It is a game of Fallen Angels and their struggle to survive against the forces of Heaven and Hell and some things in between.

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 163 on Fri 24 Sep 2021 - 11:21

Gallery

Rules of note in combat. Empty

Blog Posts

Latest topics

» Shutting down the Forums
Rules of note in combat. EmptyTue 3 Aug 2010 - 11:47 by cenobyte

» Magic Creation-Zeal Table
Rules of note in combat. EmptyTue 3 Aug 2010 - 11:28 by cenobyte

» Houses of the Blooded in Regina, August 28th
Rules of note in combat. EmptyWed 14 Jul 2010 - 15:02 by Bal

» The Sentinel's journal
Rules of note in combat. EmptyThu 8 Jul 2010 - 20:13 by Dorian Mason

» Character backgrounds
Rules of note in combat. EmptyTue 6 Jul 2010 - 12:19 by Corral

» The dreams of Edward
Rules of note in combat. EmptySun 4 Jul 2010 - 0:32 by Edward

» Some of Eliel's secrets
Rules of note in combat. EmptySat 3 Jul 2010 - 17:35 by Corral

» Question/June Game
Rules of note in combat. EmptyThu 1 Jul 2010 - 22:51 by cenobyte

» "Map" of the Fallen
Rules of note in combat. EmptyThu 1 Jul 2010 - 14:17 by Molior

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 3440 messages in 394 subjects

We have 47 registered users

The newest registered user is Cyurus

5 posters

Rules of note in combat.

Keth
    Keth
    Retired

Number of posts : 207
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Rules of note in combat. Empty Rules of note in combat.

Post by Keth Mon 20 Apr 2009 - 15:57

First thing first.

Should your character take their mortal wound and die, then lose the soul challenge for true death. You CAN 'burn' a cinimatic point to onyl hollow death instead. When you burn a point like that it is gone forever. You still have the vice, just no point for it.

Second. When someone says (after the initial blow of combat) that they are attacking you, you CAN say "ok well im going to hit you back" you dont have to just sit there and let them miss. This is when you use warfare to warfare. If they lose, you hit them. If they win they hit you. And short of storyguide comments, you cant spend devotion or dramatic maneuvers (DrM's) unless they are declared before that particular dice roll. OM's and DM's are spent after the dice roll when damage is being dished out/recieved.

And yeah, thats what was off the top of my head from last game.

there is a handy little thing in that red book that goes through a mock combat and how it works with abilities and doing different things. Between some fortitude and something else. At the very least i enjoyed reading it and it cleared up a rule or two for me right there. Its actually a bit after the combat section.

Edit:: on another note, I am reasonably sure that if you are in the firmament, then you can see anything else in the firmament. And they can see you.

Last edited by Keth on Mon 20 Apr 2009 - 16:45; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : fixed some of the stupid. Added the edit.)
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Number of posts : 860
    Location : She is overfond of books, and it hath addled her brain.
    Registration date : 2008-06-24

Rules of note in combat. Empty Re: Rules of note in combat.

Post by cenobyte Mon 20 Apr 2009 - 16:25

Um.
    Clarification, actually.
    You spend DRAMATIC Maneuvers **BEFORE** the test (die roll).
    You spend OFFENSIVE Maneuvers if you are successful on the test (you do extra damage only if you hit).
    You spend DEFENSIVE Maneuvers if you are unsuccessful on the test (you only soak damage if you've taken it).

Also.
    You declare an attack.
    Your opponent gets to choose one of three things: Fight (Dynamic), Flee (Reactive), Block (Reactive).
    I run the die roll as follows: The person who declared the action rolls the die. A successful roll means you complete your declared action.
    Some people prefer to have the person with the higher Warfare would roll the die.
    If your action AND your opponent's action are both 'fight', only **one** person rolls the die.
    Arc
    Arc
    Retired

Number of posts : 155
    Registration date : 2008-08-07

Post by Arc Mon 20 Apr 2009 - 22:41

On a related note for combat I would like to say that the in game combat that occurred went quite smoothly all things considered. I would like to request one thing for combats during events (that aren't side scenes) particularly when we have limited time. That is for people who don't know what the combat effects of their Techniques are to please refrain from using them unless absolutely necessary. I understand that we don't all know the rules, but I hope that thanks to Jill's efforts getting us a copy of the system that we know how to use the abilities we have purchased, but when in doubt just go with the flow. I trust you all to be kind and generous for outcomes based on imperfect scenerios as they often happen out of character in an event based mass combat and I hope that you all trust each other.

I know I learned a few things from the last event, I hope you all learned something new too. From my experience with it people did a great job considering how pressed for ST resources we were in accepting the knowledge of their peers and showing some restraint when it would unduly slow things down to wait for a ruling from the ST team.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Mon 20 Apr 2009 - 23:17

Thanks, Johnathan. That's a really good point. It would be a good idea for folks to make sure they learn how their Techniques and combat abilities work and what the effects are. It prevents me (or any other narrator) from having to cart around a rulebook and stop the action in order to look things up.

I would have said that if you don't know how to use your combat abilities/Techniques during a combat, you don't actually get to use it, but Johnathan's suggestion is much better. Thanks!
    Eliel
    Eliel

Number of posts : 198
    Registration date : 2009-01-16

Post by Eliel Tue 21 Apr 2009 - 2:33

quote]Your opponent gets to choose one of three things: Fight (Dynamic), Flee (Reactive), Block (Reactive).
    [/quote]

I think there are also some techniques you can actively use (dynamic) in place of fighting. Sanctuary comes to mind, but I am certain there are others.

If that is done I *think* the challenge is then the appropriate dynamic stat of the person using the technique (ie Dynamic Soul in the case of Sanctuary) vs the Warfare of the attacker but the Technique challenge may be resolved as a separate test (dyn soul vs reac soul of the attacker) prior to the Warfare challenge. I'll have to look in the book or preferably if someone who can understand this system better than me can answer which it is that would be great.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Tue 21 Apr 2009 - 21:37

This really depends on the Technique you're trying to use and how you're trying to use it. Activating a Technique *always* requires you use Dynamic [Set]. Sanctuary would be Dynamic [Set] versus Dynamic [Set] if someone were trying to break through it. Otherwise, you just use your Technique.

It would work this way:

Player 1: I'm'a hit'cha!
    Player 2: I'm'a activate Sanctuary

Players compare Warfare versus Dynamic [whatever set Sanctuary uses]. Player 1 rolls the die. **

- OR -

Player 1: I'm'a hit'cha!
    Player 2: I'm'a get out of the way and activate Sanctuary.

Player 1 compares Warfare with opponent's Reactive Body. Player 1 rolls the die. Player 2 then activates Sanctuary. If someone wants to try to break through Sanctuary after this, it's a Dynamic [Sanctuary Set] versus Dynamic [same Set as Sanctuary] challenge.**

In both of these examples, if both players agree that they would prefer that the player with the higher stat rolls, that's fine.
    Keth
    Keth
    Retired

Number of posts : 207
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by Keth Fri 3 Jul 2009 - 16:00

But first an interesting I learned at the last game that some of you may not have known yet. Transcendent advantages are you cant lose type thing should it come to it, no dice are needed for these. (Asked Jill because I couldn’t for the life of me find it in the book)

Under hallow, talking about desecrating or consecrating a member of the host/horde: “Touch based techniques give an advantage(*+1 on die roll*) if role-playing is possible.” (pg. 168) So for people with touch based things like recure or judgment that little rule might help (if it is intentional, and simply not ment to have been edited out).

And impromptu weapons: Something that you can use once/fight, you declare part of the environment as a weapon (chair, table, window, wrench, sink, the floor.. etc). You can only do this once per environment piece as when you do the object is either busted or no longer a surprise. Rule wise: “ – An impromptu weapon gives a character one Offensive maneuver but also gives them a hindrance (*-1 prowess*) when using it.” (pg. 141)

And then (to deal with a few questions I had earlier in a different forum.) I found “Unorthodox Action” If you want the specifics look on page 134 of the big red book but basically it says you cant do damage with one, but you use your lowest body prowess and may not use any maneuvers or combat related techniques. This is just used for the stuff that isn’t in the rules but there are a few creative ways you might think to use it. Example: the nephilim trying to drag a particularly annoying fortitude into heaven, we were not sure of the rules for doing that but this would give us a mechanic to accomplish the action in theory.

Lets hope this makes combat a bit more interesting for you (without slowing it down too much!)

Pending people correcting me/their other additions/things I missed of course.
    Arc
    Arc
    Retired

Number of posts : 155
    Registration date : 2008-08-07

Post by Arc Sat 4 Jul 2009 - 0:46

As per my conversation with Trent, my understanding of a Transcendant Advantage is that it is an advantage ( a +1 on the die roll) you will get regardless of any other factors in play even other Transcendant Advantages. The example in the BRB indicating the Transcendant Advantage winning outright is due to the fact that two other typed advantages were in play. This is what makes one of the highest tier angel and devils so nasty since they get 2 Transcendant Advantages on us just for being that much cooler than we are.
    Eliel
    Eliel

Number of posts : 198
    Registration date : 2009-01-16

Post by Eliel Sat 4 Jul 2009 - 1:29

The best phrasing on trancendent advantages I've heard was, "it gives a +1 like any other advantage but unlike normal advantages it can put you up to a total of +3 on a die roll (making the die roll un-nescesary)"
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Mon 6 Jul 2009 - 22:10

The way I understood it is that a TA can provide up to a total of +3 to a die roll. It is entirely possible that the term "Transcendent Advantage" was used in more than one way in different places in the book. Kind of like "Potent Inspiration/Hindrance" means "lasts longer" not "is more than +/- 1 to your Prowess". I find that a little confusing, since Potent Transgressions, Vices, and Preeminences are basically "more better", not "lasts longer".

Anyway, in the instance Dan (my Ninja) is talking about, there was a character in the game who had at least 1 Transcendent Advantage which put it up to +3 on a die roll.

EDIT: To be absolutely clear, the character in question had a PREEMINENCE that allowed him to achieve a Transcendent Advantage if certain other conditions were met (giving him a Significant Advantage). When those conditions were met (they were), the character would receive one TA *per combat scene*. Not a blanket +3 to all his die rolls.

And to be even more clearer, there are Preeminences, Manoeuvres, and situations in which you can recieve an Advantage (+1) to your die roll. There are some situations in which those Advantages may stack, to a maximum of a Significant Advantage (+2). In *extremely rare circumstances*, a character may have the ability to use a Transcendent Advantage, which can provide a further +1, and which may stack with other Advantages, to a maximum of +3. But it doesn't always.

PCs almost never receive Transcendent Advantages. Unless your Storyguide has been plied with so much Dark Chocolate by way of game taxes that she is delerious and singing the words "You get a Tran-scen-dent ADVANTAGE" to the tune of the theme from "Magnum, P.I.".

Last edited by cenobyte on Sat 11 Jul 2009 - 22:18; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : to enclarificulate the wordiferization)
    Corral
    Corral

Number of posts : 359
    Registration date : 2008-06-25

Post by Corral Thu 16 Jul 2009 - 11:10

Did you know Transcendence is *not* spelled Trance-n-dance?

*giggles*
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Thu 16 Jul 2009 - 11:12

It really *should* be, shouldn't it?
    We ought to start a petition.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 28 Apr 2024 - 14:11