Providence

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Providence

Providence is a LARP game using Trent Yacuk's Kingdom Come system. It is a game of Fallen Angels and their struggle to survive against the forces of Heaven and Hell and some things in between.

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 163 on Fri 24 Sep 2021 - 11:21

Gallery

Healing Trauma Empty

Blog Posts

Latest topics

» Shutting down the Forums
Healing Trauma EmptyTue 3 Aug 2010 - 11:47 by cenobyte

» Magic Creation-Zeal Table
Healing Trauma EmptyTue 3 Aug 2010 - 11:28 by cenobyte

» Houses of the Blooded in Regina, August 28th
Healing Trauma EmptyWed 14 Jul 2010 - 15:02 by Bal

» The Sentinel's journal
Healing Trauma EmptyThu 8 Jul 2010 - 20:13 by Dorian Mason

» Character backgrounds
Healing Trauma EmptyTue 6 Jul 2010 - 12:19 by Corral

» The dreams of Edward
Healing Trauma EmptySun 4 Jul 2010 - 0:32 by Edward

» Some of Eliel's secrets
Healing Trauma EmptySat 3 Jul 2010 - 17:35 by Corral

» Question/June Game
Healing Trauma EmptyThu 1 Jul 2010 - 22:51 by cenobyte

» "Map" of the Fallen
Healing Trauma EmptyThu 1 Jul 2010 - 14:17 by Molior

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 3440 messages in 394 subjects

We have 47 registered users

The newest registered user is Cyurus

+3
Rada
Molior
cenobyte
7 posters

Healing Trauma

cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Number of posts : 860
    Location : She is overfond of books, and it hath addled her brain.
    Registration date : 2008-06-24

Healing Trauma Empty Healing Trauma

Post by cenobyte Wed 24 Sep 2008 - 13:04

Recently some questions have come up regarding how to heal Trauma. Hopefully this will help clear it up.

While the only way to really **heal** Trauma is to take a downtime Rehabilitation action, you are strongly encouraged to roleplay your own attempts at trying to work through things yourself. Particularly if you are attempting to use Absolution or Confession or the Therapist Profession, at-game time presents a perfect opportunity for you to get some awesome LARP in.

How to heal trauma:
    1.Take a Rehabilitation Action during downtime as one of your Endeavours. You may make a Rehabilitation Action on behalf of someone else.
    a)The Artist profession gives you an Inspiration for this Endeavour, if you are trying to heal your own Trauma. The Therapist Profession gives you an Inspiration for this Endeavour if you are trying to heal someone else's Trauma.

2.If you are using Rehabilitation on someone else, the target may (and probably should) use an Aid action to help you help them help you. Heh. That was a fun sentence.

3.If your Rehabilitation Endeavour is successful, you then make a test using either Psyche or Anima, depending on what type of wound (Psychological or Emotional, respectively) you have sustained. You must deal with Mortal Trauma before Severe, and with Severe before Surface. In subsequent months, you may make more than one test to attempt to heal a single trauma level, but you may not attempt to heal more than one trauma level at a time. Which is to say, you make one test to heal one Traumatic Wound each month, and you may make that Trauma test again in subsequent months until the Traumatic Wound is healed.
    a)The test you are about to do has a difficulty inversely related to the number of successes you achieved on your Endeavour. So if you got two Marks on your Rehabilitation Endeavour, the difficulty for this test is Difficult ( 8 ). I'll do an example a bit later on.
    b)If you are trying to heal Mortal Trauma, the difficulties are fixed.

4.Every rank of Artist (if you're using it on yourself) gives you an Inspiration on your Psyche/Anima test (**not** on the Rehabilitation action). Every rank of Therapist used gives one Inspiration which can be applied to any target (you may apply the Inspiration to many characters' tests).
    a)Either of these Professions will allow a target one re-roll to the Psyche/Anima test if the Profession is held at a Dedicated rank.

5.Absolution and Confession Techniques give Advantages to the target for their Psyche/Anima test. At Meek, the Advantage is only gained for tests involving Surface Trauma. At Moderate, for Surface and Severe Trauma, and if the Techniques are used at Pure levels, the Advantage is applicable for all types of Trauma.

6.A Therapist attempting to heal a Hardcore or Irredeemable character will cause a Traumatic wound rather than heal one – if this causes Mortal Trauma, the character's Morality turns one stage toward Innocent. However, keep in mind that you don't ever need to use the Therapist Profession to heal Trauma. Once the morality shift occurs, all Trauma is removed in that area.

7.Therapists whose morality is Immoral can use a Rehabilitation Endeavor to inflict trauma. If Mortal Trauma is acquired in this way, it turns your Morality one stage toward Irredeemable. Once the Morality shift occurs, all Trauma is removed in that area. Immoral Therapists do not “cure” wounds. They essentially cure you of your guilt by convincing you that whatever it was that caused the Trauma really wasn't so bad.

8. Marks gained from Rehabilitation Actions don't "go away", so you can earn 4 one month, 1 the next, and 3 the following month. You get to roll the Trauma Test each month until you are successful, at which point you may begin working on a new one.

Example: Lucius has just witnessed a distressed woman beating her child. Lucius' Morality is Typical, and he ends up taking Severe Emotional Trauma. It's caused him to take the Symptom: Acute Anxiety. He needs to talk to someone. During downtime, Lucius' player files a Rehabilitation Action. He doesn't have the Artist Profession, but he chooses to talk to someone about what he's seen. He was talking to Markus at the game, who is a Divine Hope. Markus' player files an Endeavour using Moderate Absolution and Therapist for Lucius' Rehabilitation. Lucius files an Aid action.

The Storyguide rolls 4 Marks for Markus and 2 for Lucius's Aid; that means there are 5 Marks altogether, making the Trauma Test a Medium (5) Difficulty. Lucius also has one Advantage from the use of Absolution (so he adds +1 to his Prowess roll for the Test), and one Inspiration from Markus' Therapist Profession. Lucius' Anima is at 2, and the Advantage bumps it to 3. He must roll a 4, 5, or 6 on his Trauma Test to heal the Trauma.

Had Marcus received only 2 Marks the first month, Lucius would have been facing a Difficulty of 8 on his Opposed Roll (his Anima (2) versus 8.

Does this clear up any confusion, or does it cause more?
    Questions?
    Discuss

Last edited by cenobyte on Tue 2 Dec 2008 - 11:55; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : clarification)
    Molior
    Molior

Number of posts : 124
    Registration date : 2008-06-26

Healing Trauma Empty Re: Healing Trauma

Post by Molior Fri 26 Sep 2008 - 14:44

I see one difficulty with your example, Jill. Of course, I'm not certain how healing Trauma works, because I don't have a copy of the book. Razz

I was under the impression that in a situation such as the one in your example, the rollee would get two attempts; one for having met the Low success threshold against difficulty 8, and another against difficulty 5 for having made the Moderate success threshold. First, you would calculate his chances on the Low roll (Anima 2, +1 for 1 Inspiration, +1 Advantage, vs. Difficulty 8: the Trauma is beat on a roll of 5 or 6), and then you would roll again if the Low roll failed against the Moderate (vs. Difficulty 5 this time, thus the Trauma is beat on a 4, 5 or 6 as you said). If you failed both times and got 3 more Marks next month, you would get ANOTHER test against difficulty 2 for having made the Hard success threshold, and finally, if you managed to fail that test as well, passing the Epic success threshold would automatically heal your Trauma.

Does my memory serve?

Also, a question about how Artist/Therapist works in this situation. Does it give you a re-roll & point of Risk mitigation, AND give you an Inspiration, per rank used? Or is it only one or the other?
    Molior
    Molior

Post by Molior Fri 26 Sep 2008 - 14:52

One other question on the subject of how this thing works, assuming my understanding is correct: if I get that Absolution/Confession/Therapist assistance on healing a Trauma, does that help at EVERY milestone I pass (i.e., if in your example I fail at healing my Trauma, and I try again next month and accumulate 8 Marks total)? Do I get the Advantage/Inspiration(s) even if the task takes more than 1 month, and I only receive Aid the first month?

And more questions on a slightly different topic: Can you assist someone by only spending Absolution/Confession with no Effort/Secular Power? What about only spending Therapist with no Effort/Secular Power?
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Fri 26 Sep 2008 - 15:29

I was under the impression that in a situation
    such as the one in your example, the rollee would get two attempts; one
    for having met the Low success threshold against difficulty 8, and
    another against difficulty 5 for having made the Moderate success
    threshold. First, you would calculate his chances on the Low roll
    (Anima 2, +1 for 1 Inspiration, +1 Advantage, vs. Difficulty 8: the
    Trauma is beat on a roll of 5 or 6), and then you would roll again if
    the Low roll failed against the Moderate (vs. Difficulty 5 this time,
    thus the Trauma is beat on a 4, 5 or 6 as you said). If you failed both
    times and got 3 more Marks next month, you would get ANOTHER test
    against difficulty 2 for having made the Hard success threshold, and
    finally, if you managed to fail that test as well, passing the Epic
    success threshold would automatically heal your Trauma.

Mark, could you please ask this in a different way? I'm not sure I understand the question. I thought the example I gave was pretty straightforward - the Storyguide rolls your Endeavours Rehabilitation action to see how many Marks you get for the Trauma Test (which is separate). Then the Storyguide (or you) roll the Trauma test, comparing whatever Marks you got from your Endeavors with the Difficulty of the Trauma Test.

if I get that Absolution/Confession/Therapist
    assistance on healing a Trauma, does that help at EVERY milestone I
    pass (i.e., if in your example I fail at healing my Trauma, and I try
    again next month and accumulate 8 Marks total)? Do I get the
    Advantage/Inspiration(s) even if the task takes more than 1 month, and
    I only receive Aid the first month?

Yes. If you have someone willing to use any ranks in therapist or any Techniques as part of a Rehabilitation action on your behalf, that can be done as an ongoing Action, and you don't lose any previous Marks. So you can indeed use Therapy and Techniques month after month in an attempt to heal Trauma. you are not restricted to only using those benefits the first month.

Can you assist someone by only spending
    Absolution/Confession with no Effort/Secular Power? What about only
    spending Therapist with no Effort/Secular Power?

I don't think so. I think you have to take a Rehabilitation Action (and thereby spend either Effort or Secular Power on the action, to indicate how much time you're devoting to it) for your Endeavors in order to use any Techniques. Of course, you can use your Techniques at events as part of a Rehabilitation Action, in theory (any Advantages you get this way should, then, in theory, apply to your Rehabilitation Endeavor). But. If you're filing Endeavors and using a Rehabilitation Action as one of your Endeavors, you pretty much have to spend Effort or Secular Power on the Action.

Last edited by cenobyte on Mon 29 Sep 2008 - 19:09; edited 1 time in total
    Rada
    Retired

Number of posts : 80
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Healing Trauma Empty Separate but related question

Post by Rada Sat 27 Sep 2008 - 14:24

When someone has a breakdown from Moral or Immoral trauma, do they automatically shift morality? I was under the impression they did, but I have heard recently that I was mistaken. Also what happens to the trauma after said shift.

For example Snikkerdoodle is a "typical" fallen with 1 emotional surface wound boxes and 2 emotional severe wound boxes. Over the last several months events have driven him to darker and darker emotional places and he enters the game with 3 immoral emotional trauma. During the game he once again is put in a situation where he commits a "questionable" act and fails the trauma test. He has now taken a mortal trauma. Since the trauma was immoral is he required to abandon his morality and become hardened or can he choose to suffer through the breakdown?

If it is a choice, does the trauma go away if the player chooses to abandon his morality? If not what is the downside of not shifting?
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Sat 27 Sep 2008 - 18:53

I'm not sure about the downside of not shifting; it's my understanding that if you suffer Mortal Trauma (either emotional or psychological), you automatically shift one 'space' closer to whatever pushed you over the edge (for Moral characters, one shift further to the Immoral side; for Immoral characters, one shift further to the Moral side). I believe this is automatic.

Of course, you should *also* suffer through the breakdown, as far as RPing goes.

What a Face

Does that answer your question, Dave?

I'll do some further checking on it, but I'm pretty sure if you take that Mortal Trauma, you're breaking down, no questions asked.
    Rada
    Retired

Number of posts : 80
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Healing Trauma Empty Awesome

Post by Rada Sun 28 Sep 2008 - 22:48

That was how I had understood it as well.
    Keth
    Keth
    Retired

Number of posts : 207
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by Keth Mon 29 Sep 2008 - 18:26

cenobyte wrote:
    I was under the impression that in a situation
    such as the one in your example, the rollee would get two attempts; one
    for having met the Low success threshold against difficulty 8, and
    another against difficulty 5 for having made the Moderate success
    threshold. First, you would calculate his chances on the Low roll
    (Anima 2, +1 for 1 Inspiration, +1 Advantage, vs. Difficulty 8: the
    Trauma is beat on a roll of 5 or 6), and then you would roll again if
    the Low roll failed against the Moderate (vs. Difficulty 5 this time,
    thus the Trauma is beat on a 4, 5 or 6 as you said). If you failed both
    times and got 3 more Marks next month, you would get ANOTHER test
    against difficulty 2 for having made the Hard success threshold, and
    finally, if you managed to fail that test as well, passing the Epic
    success threshold would automatically heal your Trauma.

Mark, could you please ask this in a different way? I'm not sure I understand the question. I thought the example I gave was pretty straightforward - the Storyguide rolls your Endeavours Rehabilitation action (with any Inspirations, etc.) to see how many Marks you get for the Trauma Test (which is separate). Then the Storyguide (or you) roll the Trauma test, comparing whatever Marks you got from your Endeavors with the Difficulty of the Trauma Test.

I am not sure... but i think he was asking if the effort accumulated is cumulative(pretty sure that the spelling is incorrect here...) untill the point the trauma you are rolling for is gone? so if you got 2 sucesses one month, and failed. And the next month you got 3, i believe what mark was asking or stating was that for the purposes of that month you would have an equivilent of 5 sucesses. And so on untill you actually suceed and rid yourself of that pesky trauma.

Maybe im right in how i deciphered that. maybe im not..

And as a comment it makes sense realistically, because working on fixing your mind does not simply go away (unless something bad happens again i guess) though i doubt that would be the case rule wise. I mean the characters are fallen afterall, its not like they are entirely stable to begin with (well im sure some of us are) so its not like things just go away as easy as they would for someone 'normal'.

Anyway... that was my two cents... hopefully i didnt make this more confusing.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Mon 29 Sep 2008 - 18:39

Yes, you keep all former Marks when using Rehabilitation Actions. The effects are Cumulative. 
    Keth
    Keth
    Retired

Post by Keth Mon 29 Sep 2008 - 18:43

cenobyte wrote:Yes, you keep all former Marks when using Rehabilitation Actions. The effects are Cumulative. 

Oh... so im wrong... and kinda glad i am, makes my life easier. cheers
    Molior
    Molior

Post by Molior Mon 29 Sep 2008 - 19:00

That is absolutely what I meant, Dan.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Mon 29 Sep 2008 - 19:16

So did I answer the question? Rehabilitation is a Variable Term; it's ongoing so you don't lose any Marks you gained in previous months. However, you can only heal one Wound at a time. And Dave, there *is* an option to shifting Morality. Your character can die instead.
    Molior
    Molior

Post by Molior Mon 29 Sep 2008 - 20:02

I think you misinterpreted one of my questions, the one about getting Therapist/Absolution/Confession assistance month-to-month. What I MEANT was, are those one-time benefits or cumulative? I.e., if it takes me more than one month to heal my Trauma and I got an Aid the first month with the help your example dude got, do I get that Advantage and Inspiration on my 2nd month even if I don't get an Aid the second month? Or are the advantages gained for the 1 month only?
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Mon 29 Sep 2008 - 20:06

If it takes you more than one month to heal your Trauma, you may use Therapist/Artist *again* to gain Inspirations. You may use Confession/Absolution *again* to gain an Advantage. And you may use Aid *again* to assist the person doing the Rehabilitation on you. So you can do the things that give you benefits more than one month in a row, but, f'rinstance, Aid is a short-term action, so you can't 'keep' the Aid you got from previous months. You can't 'keep' the Inspirations/Advantages from Previous months. But you can use them/try them again in subsequent months.

The benefits you gain are for the one month only; you have to 'redo' them each month. However, with each Mark you receive, it becomes progressively less difficult to do the Trauma Test.
    Corral
    Corral

Number of posts : 359
    Registration date : 2008-06-25

Post by Corral Thu 2 Oct 2008 - 13:26

Wait, what's this about shifting morality? How do I know when I've suffered a Mortal Trauma?

Also, how do I know which way I'm going? If a hardcore character suffers trauma for witnessing or doing something violent, then that would only move them to Hardcore, right? What kind of trauma would go the other way? Are you saying that a Hardcore character might suffer trauma from seeing someone in a pink bunny suit help an old lady across the street?
    Keth
    Keth
    Retired

Post by Keth Thu 2 Oct 2008 - 13:44

Malicia wrote: Are you saying that a Hardcore character might suffer trauma from seeing someone in a pink bunny suit help an old lady across the street?

Wouldnt that mentally scar you? i know i would have to go hide in a dark corner for a while if i witnessed such a thing.

*shiver*

them dang pink bunny suits... Rolling Eyes
    Molior
    Molior

Post by Molior Thu 2 Oct 2008 - 14:43

Are you saying that a Hardcore character might suffer trauma from seeing someone in a pink bunny suit help an old lady across the street?

Heh. No. Funny, but no.

It is MUCH more difficult to take Moral Trauma than Immoral Trauma without being affected by a Technique that does so. Bliss does that to Immoral characters, and I think there are some others.

The difference is that to take Moral Trauma without being affected by a Technique, you have to perform an Act of Grace (helping that old lady across the street, giving to someone in need, essentially being the good samaritan). And you have to MEAN it. It doesn't matter if you do something that is "good" without the intention to assist - if you secretly want the old lady's money, or want to fool a hot girlfriend into thinking that you give to those in need, it isn't an Act of Grace. Meaning that it is IMPOSSIBLE to perform an Act of Grace without wanting to.

It's much easier to take Immoral Trauma. Just watching a Crucifixion, for example.

PS: also realize that you usually make tests in situations where you would take Trauma. There are very few powers that you don't get a test to resist.

Last edited by Molior on Thu 2 Oct 2008 - 14:49; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added PS)
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Thu 2 Oct 2008 - 14:55

How do I know when I've suffered a Mortal Trauma?
    Oh, you'll know.  But seriously. When you take Trauma, it's just like when you take physical wounds - you mark off the Trauma on your character sheet. Usually you *start* by crossing off Surface Trauma, then when all your available levels there are crossed off, you go to Severe Trauma, and then when that's done, on to Mortal Trauma. If you ever cross off your one level of Mortal Trauma, you will undergo a breakdown of some kind. For some characters, this breakdown could be fatal. For others, you will work through it, but in working through it, your morality shifts one 'step' toward Irredeemable (if it's Immoral Trauma you've taken) or toward Innocent (if it's Moral Trauma you've taken). Some people have indicated to me that should they ever take Mortal Trauma of one kind or another, it would make more sense for their character to die, commit suicide, or what have you. That's your decision. Game mechanics-wise, though, Mortal Trauma is what causes your Morality to shift. Have I answered this part of your question, Laura?
    Keth
    Keth
    Retired

Post by Keth Sun 5 Oct 2008 - 15:33

A question along this line, i figure it would be best here rather then starting a new topic.

If i dedicated some time last month to recovering trauma but dont dedicate any this month in favour of getting things done. Do i loose the past progress as i would for a normal upkeep if i go back to repairing my mind a few months later and neglecting it untill that point?
    Corral
    Corral

Post by Corral Sun 5 Oct 2008 - 17:48

My questions have been answered, thank you!
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Sun 5 Oct 2008 - 21:49

Dan, that's a good question, and I'm not sure of the answer. I don't *think* you lose any progress from previous Rehabilitation actions. There is no indication that you have to continue doing Upkeep Actions (like you would for being an Innocent/Irredeemable character, or for Predominance actions, f'rinstance) to retain the previous progress on your Rehabilitation, but there is nothing that explicitly states that you *don't* have to do Upkeep actions, either, or that you have to do your Rehabilitation Actions in consecutive chunks of time. In fact, the book insinuates that you don't have to do Rehabilitation in consecutive/connected pieces of time.

So, I'm going to say that no, if you do a Rehabilitation Action, but maybe aren't successful right away, you don't have to continue to try to heal the Trauma for the next X months - you're welcome (and encouraged) to play the game with accumulated Trauma. [heh. Twisted Evil ]
    Keth
    Keth
    Retired

Post by Keth Sun 5 Oct 2008 - 21:57

Thanks that helped allot Very Happy

And i must admit its kinda fun playing a bit more messed up then usual. But i figure by the time i manage to get rid of it ill have had my fun... and possibly a few more of them ^.^
    Corral
    Corral

Post by Corral Mon 1 Dec 2008 - 21:19

"It's much easier to take Immoral Trauma. Just watching a Crucifixion, for example."

I believe Rada said the same thing somewhere else, as well. But Jill has told me that watching a Crucifixion is unaligned. In fact, she has told me that *no* Trauma not caused by a Technique is aligned. (ie, only Technique Trauma can be either moral or immoral).

I would also like to clarify: does cumulative mean completely cumulative, or cumulative until success?

For example Snikkerdoodle gets 3 marks one month, fails the test, gets 2 the next month for a total of 5, and then succeeds. Do his 3 marks the *next* month count as a total of 3, or 8? I have a feeling that it's probably 3 again, but 8 would be nice to hear.

(And if 3, then is there any way to keep marks? For example, maybe 5 is more than he needs, can he roll against 4 and keep the last for next month?)

I'm also pretty vague on this example. In the first situation, all those marks do what exactly? I don't see where difficulty 5 versus difficulty 8 comes in when it seems to be Lucius' Anima and the advantage from absolution only that determine what he needs to roll to succeed. Is he rolling two things? Can we break this down into more steps for me, starting with the Marks already decided?

There is, by the way, no reason for me to be asking these questions.
    cenobyte
    cenobyte
    Admin

Post by cenobyte Mon 1 Dec 2008 - 22:00

Malicia wrote:But Jill has told me that watching a Crucifixion is unaligned. In fact, she has told me that *no* Trauma not caused by a Technique is aligned. (ie, only Technique Trauma can be either moral or immoral).

To clarify.
    That's not quite what I meant. You can certainly take aligned Trauma for performing Acts outside your Morality.
    Most of the time, if you take Trauma for things like witnessing a Crucifixion, it will be unaligned.
    Trauma caused by the use of Techniques is *always* aligned Trauma.

Malicia wrote:I would also like to clarify: does cumulative mean completely cumulative, or cumulative until success? For example Snikkerdoodle gets 3 marks one month, fails the test, gets 2 the next month for a total of 5, and then succeeds. Do his 3 marks the *next* month count as a total of 3, or 8? I have a feeling that it's probably 3 again, but 8 would be nice to hear.

I'm not sure I understand the question. The Marks you get on Rehabilitations continue to accumulate until you are successful on your Trauma test.

So if Snikkerdoodle gets 3 Marks in September and fails the Test, then gets 2 Marks the next month and succeeds, he heals the Trauma he was working on. There would be no reason for him to continue doing Rehabilitation actions unless he's trying to heal another Traumatic Wound, at which point he has no Marks toward healing that new Traumatic wound.

To clarify:
    Rehabilitation actions do not heal Trauma. Only a successful Trauma test heals a Traumatic Wound. Successful Rehabilitation actions reduce the *difficulty* of the Trauma Test.

You can only heal one Traumatic Wound at a time. Each time you successfully heal a Traumatic Wound, you start from scratch trying to heal the next wound. So you can't carry over any Marks from a previous Rehabilitation for a different Traumatic Wound.

Malicia wrote:(And if 3, then is there any way to keep marks? For example, maybe 5 is more than he needs, can he roll against 4 and keep the last for next month?)

Again, I don't understand the question.
    Downtime actions work on the assumption that there are four levels of difficulty: Low (2); Moderate (5); Hard (Cool; and Epic (15).

Malicia wrote:I'm also pretty vague on this example. In the first situation, all those marks do what exactly? I don't see where difficulty 5 versus difficulty 8 comes in when it seems to be Lucius' Anima and the advantage from absolution only that determine what he needs to roll to succeed. Is he rolling two things? Can we break this down into more steps for me, starting with the Marks already decided?

Yes. There are two rolls. You're rolling for two different things. This is the way Rehabilitation (healing Trauma) works:
    You take a Rehabilitation action, to try to heal one Traumatic Wound. You assign Effort, but cannot use any professions other than Artist, nor resources for this action. Others can provide you Aid (and can use the Therapist profession for your benefit). The Storyguide rolls your Rehabilitation Action. The difficulty you achieve on the Rehabilitation Action makes the actual Trauma Test easier.

Once you have achieved a certain difficulty on your Rehabilitation test, you make your Trauma test. You roll your own die for the Trauma Test, and you're rolling your Anima or Psyche (depending on which category your Trauma is in) against the inverse of the Difficulty you achieved on your Rehabilitation action, plus any Inspirations you may have received from therapy.

Here is a different example:
    Ezekiel has 3 Emotional Trauma and 1 Psychological Trauma. He decides he needs to begin to heal some Emotional Trauma. He spends 5 Cautious Effort on his Rehabilitation Action. The Storyguide rolls for Ezekiel, and gets 3 Marks. The Storyguide tells Ezekiel he may make his Trauma Test at High (Cool Difficulty [the inverse of the success he achieved on his action].

Ezekiel now compares his Psyche (4) with the Difficulty of the Trauma Test (Cool. The Difficulty is twice Ezekiel's Psyche, so he has two Hindrances on his die roll, meaning he has to roll a 6 to be successful.

If Ezekiel also allows someone to use Absolution on him, he will receive 1 Inspiration per rank of Absolution. If Ezekiel allows someone to use Confession on him, he will receive 1 Inspiration to his Trauma Test.

Here is the actual wording of the Rehabilitation Action from the rulebook:
    This action means a character is spending some time to cure Trauma wound. The method may vary; everybody has their own way to deal with guilt, anxiety, stress and pain. This action may be performed on oneself, using the Artist Profession, or on another character, using the Therapist Profession. Neither Profession is required; they just make things much easier. Only one Profession may be used in a Rehabilitation action.
    This action has a Variable Difficulty rank. Once a Difficulty rank has been achieved, the character is given a Trauma wound test (using Psyche or Anima) to remove one appropriate Traumatic wound. If this test is failed, no Progress on the action is lost, so long as it is continued in further downtimes (Deterioration applies as normal). The character gets
    another Trauma test when their Rehabilitation action reachs the next Difficulty Rank.

If the action achieves a Low (2) Difficulty, the target may make a High (Cool Trauma Test. If this action achieves a Medium (5) Difficulty, the target may make a Medium (5) Trauma Test. If this action achieves a High (Cool Difficulty, the target may make a Low (2) Trauma Test. If this action achieves an Epic (15) Difficulty, the target cures one Traumatic wound.
    Dedicated ranks of Artist or Therapist provide 1 re-roll to the Trauma test.
    Absolution provides one Inspiration per rank to a character’s Psyche or one Inspiration to their Anima. Confession provides one Inspiration per rank to a character’s Anima or one Inspiration to their Psyche. Once a Traumatic wound is removed, the action is over. Other Trauma must be dealt with with a separate Rehabilitation. Rehabilitation cannot have Resources used towards its success. This action can be used by a character to inflict Moral/Immoral Trauma on a target. The Trauma section describes
    Rehabilitation in more detail.

Which also answers Dan's question about whether you have to do an Upkeep action to keep the Marks you get on previous Rehabilitation Actions. You do.

Last edited by cenobyte on Tue 2 Dec 2008 - 11:57; edited 2 times in total
    Corral
    Corral

Post by Corral Mon 1 Dec 2008 - 22:26

Not that your own explanation didn't answer several questions, I am glad that you posted that excerpt from the rules, as it answered several questions that your explanation brought up.

So:

Miamoto has two Traumatic Wounds he wants to heal. He puts a month into Rehabilitation, and gets enough Marks to make a Difficult test. He fails. Next month, he gets another Mark, but it's not enough for a Medium test, so he doesn't roll. The next month, he achieves his marks, makes the test, and succeeds. Now he starts from scratch on the next Wound. This time he fails the Difficult test, fails the Medium test, even fails the Low... and finally gets 15 Marks into it, meaning he doesn't even have to take a test, as it's assumed cured.

1 Mark, no roll
    2-4 Marks, Difficult test
    5-7 Marks, Medium test
    8-14 Marks, Low test
    15 Marks, healed

Even assuming I'm correct in the above, I guess I still have one question:

If you achieve, say, 8 Marks the very first month. Do you get to roll the Difficult, Medium, *and* Low difficulty tests? Because if not, you have less chance of succeeding than if you had accumulated those 8 Marks over time. You might as well not ever spend max effort healing... do other things, instead.

I think that Mark asked this already, but I don't see an answer anywhere.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024 - 0:12